Innovative Marine Aquariums

No Chemi-Pure / Purigen / Carbon / Supplements

AMAYEU

I have a 12 gallon nano and got it with 3 month old established water and have been running it for a month a half.

My parameters are as follows:

Temp 79 F

Nitrate 0

Calcium 460

Alk 12 dk

Salinity 1.025

No skimmer

Filtration: Fuge with Chato and Carbon

I was doing 10% water changes once a week. Two weeks ago I went to 10% water changes twice a week. Nothing wrong was with the tank.

I was planning on adding Chemi-Pure Elite, Purigen, Supplements ie Calcium dosing, etc. But now, I would rather just do more frequent and/or greater volume water changes. Take away the carbon. Keep the macro.

I have 2 clowns, CuC, 7 different zoas, xenia, frogspawn, mushrooms, and planning to get SPS. I got enough PAR with my lighting for the SPS.

What do you think on trying to go all natural?

There is no problem not using any of that stuff... I only run a fuge on my tanks and they do fine. I think there is a place for carbon and time to use it. But it's not necessary for the day to day use.

Another thing... what is "established" water? You realize that water in our systems does not cycle - it's the rock that cycles and carries the beneficial bacteria our tanks need to thrive. Established water is nothing more then used or old water that already has fish pee and has been depleted of nutrients. There is no benefit to old water.

Archived