ReefCleaners.org

Blue berry gorgonian losing polyps

saltyFISHscales

saltyFISHscales

I have it under MH's at the top of my tank with medium water flow. It's fed twice a week with DT"s. I had it for 4 weeks, and losing polyps every week.

These are not photosynthetic. I would actually keep it further from the lights if possible to inhibit algae from settling on the dead parts. DT's may or may not do anything for the coral - in nature these will feed almost continously and short of polluting your tank it's very hard to replicate in captivity.

There will be an optimum size for prey for this animal - most gorgonians I have seen feed on small zooplankton rather than phyto so not sure DTs is really doing much of anything. Try getting some of that sweetwater zooplankton or som very very finely chopped mysis and see if you can get the polyps to take it. Regardless I would have to surmise it's doomed in the long run like most azooxantellate gorgonians that enter the hobby.

Feed that sunumabeech some cyclops-eeze or something similar. yes low light will be key for this animal as they are not usually very light tolerant. some species are, I have seen this one as not.

Ditto on what birdman said. Try to pick up some cyclops-eeze, or frozen "bbs" (baby brine shrimp). Direct feed when the polyps are open.

-Sumbel.

DT's are phytoplankton. That is -plant- material. You need ZOOplankton. ANIMAL material. Cyclops-eeze is basically Zooplankton. A small, engineered type of crustacea. They mass breed it, pack it into blocks and freeze it.

It's the good eats. More nutritious than frozen Baby brine shrimp, but not as easy to find. Most Petsmarts carry SFBay brand baby brine shrimp (sold as "Perfect for baby fish").

-Sumbel.

saltyFISHscales

Thanks blacksumbel, I'm going to check w/ m LFS after work. Does that also work with my Yellow Gorgonian? I did notice my Yellow Gor, is doing great in deeper waters with less light.... But does it eat the same as my Blue?

Archived