Cultivated Reef

Seachem's Reef Complete (calcium raiser) killed my hermits?

skp

I bought a 500 ml bottle of this stuff to try it out. I have a 34 gallon redsea max and i use instant ocean salt mix. my calcium was at 360. I dosed 5 mls yesterday which is less than 1/5th of the maxium dosing per day on the bottle and after a few hours i noticed that my two largest blue legged hermits have died. They just crawled out of their shells and were stuck on my intake grate. Does anyone have any speculation as to why this happened? It has been 5 days since my last water change and there has not been any changes whatsoever to the tank besides the addition of the calcium yesterday.

also.. I noticed that the seachem reef complete has some white floaties in the blue solution. Is this normal?

thanks everyone

I used it on my BC14 for quite some time without incident. I would add one capful twice a week until I got my Ca up to 420, then once a week thereafter. It did drop my dKH, but that was to be expected when dosing calcium. It never killed anything for me.

The white particles you are seeing are most likely calcium precipitate, which is normal to a certain extent I believe.

I bought a 500 ml bottle of this stuff to try it out. I have a 34 gallon redsea max and i use instant ocean salt mix. my calcium was at 360. I dosed 5 mls yesterday which is less than 1/5th of the maxium dosing per day on the bottle and after a few hours i noticed that my two largest blue legged hermits have died. They just crawled out of their shells and were stuck on my intake grate. Does anyone have any speculation as to why this happened? It has been 5 days since my last water change and there has not been any changes whatsoever to the tank besides the addition of the calcium yesterday.

also.. I noticed that the seachem reef complete has some white floaties in the blue solution. Is this normal?

thanks everyone

Archived