Cultivated Reef

50K Iwasakis

dattack

NanoReefer53

i personally don't use them (not enough light for my tank) but have heard some good things about the colors. Here's a pic that John (tubs) took at a meeting.

DSCN6404.jpg

Hey that looks pretty sweet. So is that just one 150 Watt bulb in there? Seems like some nice SPS growth and the coloration isn't overtly blue.

NanoReefer53

heh heh, i dunno bout growth rates under that light. Remeber this is a show tank at a WMC convention when it was being shown for the first time. That means this tank was put up in one day and taken down in one day so the corals were already that big.

I dont know about that colour temp...I thought it was rather too high, such colour temps better suit deep reef species. Maybe ok for a lagoon setup?

I dont think its quite suitable for clams.

Well, thats my say in it. :)

so the 50,000ks and 20ks are all just around 12-13k? cause i was looking for something in the 12-14k range so it would have a nice bluish white color but i was thinking the 20ks would be too blue. which 150w double ended bulb would you suggest?

MX pro,

The 50K Iwasakis are actually single ended so I can't comment on the DE bulbs given that I don't own them.

THe output doesn't look too bad compared to the Iwasaki 6500. Seems like it's just similar to any of the blue bulbs out there such as radiums in terms of peaking at the blue.

Iwasaki65and50k.gif

Although I don't use the bulb over any of my systems, I do own a 50KK operated with an Icecap 150W electronic ballast. The bulb is definitely on the blue side ..... somewhere in between an Ushio 10KK and Radium 20KK running on a M5x series ballast. In other words, it' an irridescent blue looking bulb.

FWIW, 50KK is definitely all marketing. But then again, all Kelvin ratings on aquarium bulbs are.

Archived