Pod Your Reef

How much 2-part at one time is dangerous

Esabasard

I have been dosing B-Ionic 2 part successfully for the entire life of my tank and recently I have needed to increase the amount of each component to keep the desired levels. I know that the 1st part can have an adverse effect on pH. How much does it take to be a problem and is it ever really a problem. I am dosing 16mL of each in my 20 long nightly. All at once with a couple of minutes between parts.

Since they can raise PH, esp the Alk component, it is best to dose it in the morning before lights on, when PH is at it's lowest.

Ok, I can change to morning dosing, but how much B-Ionic will cause too much of a pH swing too fast? I am not as concerned with raising total dKh, but rather maintaining levels and not causing negative effects i.e. "don't add more than x mL / gal at a time"

Amphiprion1

The amount will be variable depending on CO2 concentrations, starting pH, and total alkalinity. It will also vary by brand, since some use sodium carbonate, sodium bicarbonate, or a mixture of both. As a very rough guide, expect roughly around 0.04-0.3 units--again, this will still vary somewhat.

What do you mean by "expect roughly around 0.04-0.3 units"? Units of what? I have only used B-Ionic so far, and I don't know what chemical it uses or what it would mean even if I did know.

Amphiprion1
What do you mean by "expect roughly around 0.04-0.3 units"? Units of what? I have only used B-Ionic so far, and I don't know what chemical it uses or what it would mean even if I did know.

pH "units" (doesn't really have units, but you get the idea). I also forgot that you should expect very roughly that amount per .5 meq/L (or 1.4 dKH) of alkalinity added. That last part was kind of important--sorry about that, I was rushed. This assumes alkalinity is already within normal range (~7-11 dKH). B-Ionic normally uses sodium carbonate, which will raise the pH comparatively higher per unit of alkalinity added--so count on that upper range I gave of ~0.3.

Archived