Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

LFS & their LR selection

digz

Ok, so Im looking down at a 100 gal rubber-maid filled with

"Premium Live Rock" 9.99 a lb!

I ask the guy where the rock is from, he says he gets it from a guy in florida, who gathers LR from all over the place and keeps it down in florida. (Although it all looks exactly the same to me).

So, how can I tell if this LR is as good as it says (I have a feeling im being frigin cheated). Are there any pics of high quality LR that is worth this price that I can compare this too? My LFS is the closest one for quite a few miles. 10 bucks seems a heck-of-a lotta money.

Also, live sand. What makes it "live sand" anyways? My LFS sells sealed bags full of moist/wet sand from some company that claims its live sand, but from what ive read LS is full of alot more creatures then what a SEALED bag can sustain? Am I right or... this whole LS confuses me.

Thanks for any clarification.

The live rock deal was pretty much covered but I will also highly recommend http://www.gulf-view.com/ . $10 is a rip...buy mail order or find a less expensive LFS.

Now the live sand in a bag (called natures ocean) is live sand as it does contain live bacteria BUT it does not contain all the critters that true live sand from the ocean contains. So while it is live it's not quite the true ocean live. I've tended to mix my sand in my larger tanks....usually 50/50 but in a nano I've used completely live ocean sand.

Cameron

Originally posted by Physh1

but in a nano I've used completely live ocean sand.

Cameron

Ok, so if I don't happen to live next to an ocean, whats a good alternative.

Thanks for the links and info guys, is it smart to order durring the winter, or should I wait till later spring?

Archived