Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

finger leather wilting and shredding

jneuringer

Hello, I have a small finger leather that looked great in the tank for a while, then started having white flakes (it's own flesh) at its base start flaking away, like it was rotting... I tried separating it out in a breeder net thinging somethign was eating it, but it seems to be the same. All the other corals look great.. ideas?

• 2 weeks later...

Leathers will shed their outer "skin" periodically and then return to its full glory. I noticed that this thread is a bit old - so how is the leather doing now?

Dale

I agree with zzpw3x. They do shed membrane. They also form a glossy wax substance on their outer layer every so often. They seem to do better in high water flow areas with lots of light.

They do tend to droop if over handled when positioning, but will bounce back.

Anthony

if it hasn't improved try putting it in a higher flow area. leathers can go thru periods of malcontent. they just seem ####ed off or sluggish. it could be a parasite but flaking can be just it moving (albeit very slowly) or irritation or fungus or etc..

are the polyps still extended? what kind of leather is it specifically? has it changed its position since you first got it?

Archived