Pod Your Reef

new fish...new pic - 13 gal nisso tank

awakedॢ

Wait let me get this straight, it's not cool to point out that they adjust the Saturation of there photos through photoshop but it is cool to judge there tank even though they are doing the equivlent of keeping an elephant in your backyard.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Pretty tough to get representitive photos of a tank from a digicam without doing any post processing. The lights mess with the white balance. Are you saying that the fish are pasted into the photos?

My first point is that the tank is pretty. My second point is that this tank will inevitably fail at the current bio loading levels.

The Tang will die from starvation soon. They need to eat constantly. I don't really worry about "tang tank size" , but I know a goner when I see one. The butterfly may live, but is too large for the tank. 4 decent sized fish in a tank that small will lead to high nitrate levels, and within a month or two (before the fish even have a chance to "outgrow" the tank), everything will be covered in red slime, the corals will start to die, and everything will crash.

I point this out because I feel that although this tank is attractive at the moment, it should not be something to aspire to for a beginner. Minimizing bio-load is a very important aspect of a successful nano, and this tank is violating a very important rule.

Juliet, please take this criticism in the vein that it is intended and not as an attack on your work. Do yourself a favor and keep the clowns only.

The problem isn't the food. It is that they need large quanties available all the time. They are grazers in nature and when you see them in tanks, they are usually starving to death. If they are properly fed, they look nice and fat. The giveaways are a sunken stomach, thin profile, concave gill covers, and translucent skin over the guts.

Also, many people are of the opinion that since they are such strong swimmers in nature, they require an inordinately large habitat to really do well.

The real problem is how juliet mentions her old Copper, and says she hopes this one will live a "long long time more". A copper in a 13G for more than 6 weeks is torture! No matter how pretty the decorations are- it's just not right! And you're right- that Tang does look scrawny! Whether it's supplied with the amount of foods it needs or not- it is not looking healthy. Yes, she mentions moving them ot a larger tank- but she plans on keeping them in there for at least 6 weeks, and most likely much longer. I have kept a Yellow this small in my 37G tank for a couple months now, but it's purely temporary, while I'm helping a friend hold it while she sets her tank up. Of course I don't plan to keep it for ever, but at least my tank is more than a foot long! Honestly now- I sincerely feel bad for those fish!

I can't believe ppl actually responded to this thread nicely! 2 clowns, a copperband and a tang in a 13!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

By the way, the word is Aiptasia! Copperbands also like to nip at LPS, softies and zoanthids (good god). That tank is too small for your clowns much less hard to keep fish that need minimum 75 gallon tanks.

Yellow tangs and Copperbands get about 8" at full size, clowns around 4"!!! This tank makes me feel ill!

I hate the "Im getting a bigger tank" bs. If that is so then get those fish AFTER you get the tank. jesus, does no one read anymore?

Anyways besides being clean your tank is the epitomy of what NOT to do with a nano in regards to fish. You have absolutely NO idea about the needs of your fish. Understand what swimming space is? Your fish are doomed and hopefully (if there is justice in the world) you are too!!!! Find another hobby.

P.S. What is "pumping xenia"?

Originally posted by zizmans

I can't believe ppl actually responded to this thread nicely! 2 clowns, a copperband and a tang in a 13!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

By the way, the word is Aiptasia! Copperbands also like to nip at LPS, softies and zoanthids (good god). That tank is too small for your clowns much less hard to keep fish that need minimum 75 gallon tanks.  

Yellow tangs and Copperbands get about 8" at full size, clowns around 4"!!! This tank makes me feel ill!

I hate the "Im getting a bigger tank" bs. If that is so then get those fish AFTER you get the tank. jesus, does no one read anymore?

I really have to agree.

I kept FO aquariums with UNDERGRAVEL filters 15 years ago when I was in college. That was the order of the day back then. Back then, most LFS'es didn't know that Tangs simply didn't thrive in small tanks. They thought all they needed was some romaine lettuce rubber-banded to a hunk of dead coral, and you could call it a day.

But in the internet day and age, this is inexcusable. If you are going to keep fish, keep them responsibly. What you're doing to those fish are basically keeping them on death row. They will languish and die because they don't have what they NEED to thrive. While you MAY be able to "keep them alive" by some kind of aquatic miracle, you're still at the very least subjecting them to a life sentence in prison.

If you're going to keep a reef, be RESPONSIBLE about it.

It's cruel enough that animals are plucked from oceans and made to kept in these little tanks, but whining isn't going to get you anywhere. Look at Shamu (sp?). That HUGE whale is in a HUGE tnak, but surely it isn't big enough. If she can manage to keep all those fish in there fat and happy, then I see NO problem in it. Do I think she can do it? Maybe, but I have my serious doubts. Sometimes the only ay to learn is to fail a couple of times. This might even be good practice in Japan, who knows.

-Justin

PS - The pics look amazing.

Reefer_Buddha
Why do you have to go a jive like that man? no need really.... This isn't the place for it. I am sure there is more than one person that feels the same way , but we don't need to jive on people here.

hahah ok man. i think you need to wake up out of the 70's whats with the "jive" talk anyway? If you cant see that what i was sayin was a joke then you need to turn of saturday night fever and read up again. Also, when did you become the humor police on the forum? Thats what mods are for MAAAANNN, take a pill and settle.

Originally posted by Chris687

Tangs are a little bit big.  Maybe have babies and then upgrade to a big tank.

Oh, happy day: finally a comment during 2004 to bring me out.

Chance of them breeding is a pipedream. Fish breeding in a tank requires them to be extremely comfortable in their surroundings. People here are commenting on survival of the livestock and you mention reproduction. Doubtful.

JMT:

It was mentioned that the tangs look a bit on the skinny side, so they're not "fat and happy".

And the tank and reefer are located in KOREA, not Japan.

why you gotta bring the race card into this ppl? a single reef doesnt reflect on a country's attitude towards fish. Japanese ppl have some of the best reefs ever, hands down. If it did, I would take say.... zain's tank and bam u.s. reefers are put to shame. No offense zainy.

IMO, that tank looks great. The girl is capable and will most likely do the right thing. Her tank is definitely in the top 5% of the best tanks on this site. So hows about yall cut out the redundency and get off her back?

don't make me start naming idiots.;)

Love always,

Me

P.s.

This is a photography louge, dont turn it into the jct. :)

I wasn't bashing her or her background. I was just at a misunderstanding about where she was from.

AND

If she can manage to keep all those fish in there fat and happy, then I see NO problem in it. Do I think she can do it? Maybe, but I have my serious doubts.

I never said they were fat and happy, just that IF they were, it'd be ok by me. Read before you post next time.:happy:

-Justin

Actually, SN, I didn't necessarily bring in the race card, no worse than pointing out a southern vs. northern thing. Dare we call the discussion of Jaubert vs. Berlin vs. Eng systems racial, too.

Truthfully, maybe I'm showing my ignorance in terms of japanese tanks being successful to restocking and subsequent phtotgraphs, if that was JMT's focus?

Can't bring up a comment without being labeled JCT? hehe no offense taken.

JMT: curious as to the meaning of the japanese tank reference, if you feel like addressing my post in its entirety.

ok, time to clear things up. Sorry ken, I misread. I get a little iffy when i hear jap and something bad being implied. Also I didnt take the time to completely follow the topic.

But yeah, a lot of the ppl from other countries take really good care of their tank, japan being one of them. From all the pics Ive seen, they are willing to spend more on their tank and do a lot of research. Same goes for the european nations. They dont just go after a cheaper price like us you know?

oh yeah, the idiot list. you aint on it.

I wasn't bashing any Asians or anything like that. When I said maybe it's common practice in Japan, I meant that maybe that's just how they do it. We don't all believe the same things and we don't all agree on what's right and what's wrong. Regionally, maybe the Japanese feel that it is ok to keep a tang in a tank that small. Maybe they know some secret that we don't? I've personally never been to Japan or talked with any of Japan's fish enthusiast, so I'm not sure about what is considered correct husbandry of fish over there. I just wanted to point out to everyone else that, while it's considered absurd to keep a fish like that in a tank that small, that somewhere else in the world it may be a common thing.

-Justin

Pictures are great. Tank looks great. People that live in glass boxes filled with water shouldn't cast stones and should wear flippers. Juliet has already demonstrated her reef-keeping wisdom in avoiding the 'tard-tossing going on in this photo thread.

it can be as beautiful as the reat arrier Reef itself, but that doesn't mean it's ok- she already said she wants to have the copperband far longer than she had her old one, which was 6 weeks, and 6 weeks alone in a little tank like that would make a yellow tang and a copperband- TOGETHER- even worse off. i don't see how people can look at this and make good comments.

oh and by the way, the racist junk is worthless, obviously no one would intentionally put down another's race on these boards, so i don't even really feel ya'll should be that uptight to bring it up and argue about it in the first place- i'm sure if someone here was trying to be racist, we'd all clearly recognize it.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey nice tank... how did u do ur pics to make the edges appear to bend up like that?? Ive been tryin it on photoshop but I cant seem to get it like urs???

Blinkgyrl2987

The copperband is beautiful..... Question though... aren't butterflys not reef safe? I would love to have a butterfly one day when I get a huge tank... but I had always heard that they eat and nip corals! Is this true? Thanks~Megan~`

Never saw one nip at a coral in my life... but if you STARVE one? Sure, they'll nip at corals.

Beautiful fish, but make sure you have a huge tank. My wife HAD to have one in our 37 oceanic show, but he still didn't last even with water that tested great and plenty of stuff to eat.

CBB's seem to love Cyclop-eeze. Mine ate tons of cyclopeeze and grazed constantly on pods (have tons of those since I converted my HOB Aquaclear 500 into a fuge - lot of 'em grow in there then wind up in the main tank).

He ate well right up until the moment he died.

Did you ever think that she wasnt asking you what you thought or did you never consider the fact that she didnt ask you for permission before she placed the copperstrip and the tang in a 13 gallon tank? Maybe your tang is hyperactive? She is free to exercise her right to manage her tank how she sees fit, YOU should keep your mouth shut and keep your negative remarks to yourself.

Archived