SaltCritters.com

SW mixes, and other Q's

digz

What are your opinions on some of the best premixes on the market today? Particularly Im interested in one that will replace lost trace elements after water changes, so I don't have to worry about that aspect of the game.

Second Question. Should SW be premixed a day before and circulated before put into the tank for a WT? (I heard freshly mixed SW was toxic???)

And my last question, I was planning on letting my future tank filter naturaly (just LS and LR) with lots of partial WC, but would a small HOT biowheel filter help or hurt?

Thanks!

Most salt mixes replace trace elements.

I usually make RO and start mixing the night before a WC.

When mixing, I'll throw a heater in the tub, add a big powerhead with venturi to aerate the water and let it mix overnight....

wouldn't reccommend the bio-wheel..it'll just give you problems down the road with nitrates...you can use a HOB without the bio-wheel for more flow.....

A biowheel will hurt with nitrates? Can you explain? (Too much build up of nitrates or not enouph?)

So a HOB would pretty much just be there for more flow, and not so much for filtration?

Thanks!

Originally posted by MrKrispy

do a search on biowheels.   TONs of posts about them and why we tend to lead people away from them

Found what I was looking for, thanks! (maybe one should be a sticky/artical : )

So the only real benefit for a small filter on a tank would be:

A)Increase amount of water in tank

B)Water flow

With this direction, I presume no filter material (AC, or other) should be placed in / tank will be fine without / the filter?

I wouldnt add the filter material. Although I do keep carbon in my HOB filter that I keep in 24/7 to help improve water quality.

Sometimes I will add a spong to the HOB filter overnight if I kick up any debris or particulate from the sand when doing a water change. Sometimes it take a while for this stuff to settle again. I would always remove it though when the water is clear again!

Originally posted by MillerLite

Sometimes I will add a spong to the HOB filter overnight if ..... I would always remove it though when the water is clear again!

why would you remove the sponge? Does it clog up too easily? I figure it would better help to filter the water.

Archived