Top Shelf Aquatics

Does anybody make their own food?

Chyendra

I found a receipe on-line last year for a food for african cichlids. It's made with spiralina, raw shrimp, all natural vitamins, and other veggis, blended up with gelatin. I made a batch for my cichlids, and they love it. It's kinda spongy when thawed.

So i was thinking.... shrimp and algea seem like natural foods for marine fish to be eating, so would this be something i could feed instead of (or along with) prepared flake food? I was planning on makeing a new batch up, seeing as how i have a TON of spiralina powder left.

Oh, i'm thinking, cinamon clown, royal gramma, firefish, neon gobie, citron goby, and green chromises.

Thanks!

you can most definately use almost any frozen marine sea food as adequate food for your fish.

I go to the grocery store and buy shrimp, mussels, squid...pretty much whatever is available frozen and I just alternate between the various foods, just chop it up and throw it in for them.

I have some pretty heavy eaters in my big tank (lion, squirrelfish) and it comes out much cheaper buying food like this also.

if you want you can soak it in the various supplements that are available.

A very good recipe can be found HERE

I feed a version to both my fish and corals..

Obviously you can modify it to meet your needs, and availability of ingredients....

I do not add any algae to the food directly. I do have tangs in the tank and there is a constant supply of macro for them...

I am pretty lazy, all I do is thaw the frozen bits of food out, chop em up and toss them in.

Thanks for the recipe, that's very similar to the one i had. (minus the other dry fishfood)

would it be a bad idea to use the macro in my fuge as food? blend it up with everything else, or just feed chunks of it?

Archived