SaltCritters.com

Odyssea 24" 96W (4x 24W) T5 HO Light Fixture Advance

thelidster

Hello,

I am proud to post a contributing article! This site is my favorite in format and content of all the reef keeping sites. Easy to use/search etc.

This light is being tested/observed on a 5.5 AGA with no inhabitants other than two turbo snails. I hope that in a week or two I can update this post with the effects of the light on a coral.

I bought this light from the aqua traders storefront on a spring break visit to California. As far as the livestock selection there I was unimpressed (off topic). I received help immediately from a clerk who picked out the light I had been checking out online. Link: http://shop.aquatraders.com/Odyssea-24in-4...nce-p/52201.htm

He plugged it it to check the lights and wrapped it back up for me. They have a short warranty of 14 days (light bulbs not covered for replacement) and if I was to send it back I would have to pay shipping. A real bummer if it didn't work out.

The San Francisco area is a "Green" engineer mecca. There are several facilities that will measure your light output and spectrum. Unfortunately I did not have time to check the spectrum of the lights that came with this fixture (ahhh wouldn't that have been great!). I did get to borrow a foot candle meter!

A foot candle is a European measurement of light, more specifically the light that shines on a one foot area. It is comparable to 10 lux/one lumen. Full daylight is approximately 10,000 foot candles. (Information in this section from internet sources)

This light with all four bulbs on (with a warm up of 5 min) gave a max reading of around 500 foot candles. This of course doesn't warrant for the obstruction of live rock shadows, water clarity etc. But you get a rough idea of how intense the light can be for a tank as shallow as mine (aka one foot from the light).

This light has been running for a a week and a half now with no problems on a 12 hour period. I noticed that despite the adding this intense light, any additional evaporation from it was unnoticeable. The metal casing around the fixture dose get warm but not enough to worry me.

Other information:

Has "individual" reflectors, moon leds (which are spaced almost to far away to be of any use for my tank), and handy little feet that have detachable light props-they work much like sticks when propping your car hood up-cool!

I hope that this light will serve me well in the future, some forums say these lights are a gamble. That they might fail or burst into flames! For my beginner tank the price and risk was well suited.

What I would have done differently was spring an extra 10 bucks for the upgraded model that has three plugs for use with separate timers, if I had gotten this I could have timed two lights (at a time) on different schedules as well as the moon lights. As it is currently when the lights go off (all four at once) I am hit and miss on weather I turn the moon lights on.

I hope this review helps out. If you have any questions I would be happy to answer them.

Have a great night,

Lid

the 24inch t5ho has individually contoured reflectors? I emailed them not too long ago and they said not, its just 1 big parabolic reflector. meh, hmm...

the 24inch t5ho has individually contoured reflectors? I emailed them not too long ago and they said not, its just 1 big parabolic reflector. meh, hmm...

Its one big reflective piece contoured around every bulb.

Its one big reflective piece contoured around every bulb.

whatttt, lol. yeah i emailed them about that, and they way they explained it, they said it doesnt contour around each bulb, so I ended up not buying it. good to know though! thanks

I have the 24" 4x24" T5HO advanced, and though it's hard to tell by looking (mirrors make things look strange in there!) I'm pretty sure my reflectors are curved around each pair of lights. 1 reflector around the two daylight bulbs, 1 around the 2 actinics.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived