SaltCritters.com

Electrical Paranoia?

markpg

With all the power cords for various heaters, power heads, etc. leading into a nano tank is there any reason to be concerned about grounding in the tank?

Are these tanks normally used on an electrical outlet connected to a GFI? Would it be a good idea to attach some sort of extra grounding lead from the tank to a ground line on an outlet (yes, I know that most metals are a no-no in a tank...).

Any opinions? What do people usually do here?

Also, I've been getting some mixed signals as to whether the Ebo Jager heaters are submersible or not. Should I be concerned about submerging it in the tank? Or should I just play it safe and lower it past the "min fill" line?

Mark

Though it is not installed yet, I bought a GFCI just in case! They only cost $5-$10 so why not?

A grounding probe can be made of a titanium bicycle spoke.

I bought the GFCI mostly because I'm building the 70W MH project. Now, since the lights pendant will be grounded, if it falls in, the GFCI will trip even without the extra probe.

My ebo-jager is submerged...it is a submergable heater...some ARE NOT. So it depends on the model you have!

V

Reefer_Buddha

gfis are lifesavers. Wouldnt plug anything that i had into an outlet w/o one. Heaters i dont like either, just too easy to break and get fried from em.

As for the Ebo-Jager, I too has similar concerns. But, I was told that the confusing "min fill line" is just there for some country's electrical code standards. I submerged mine and have had no problems. Man, those Ebo-Jagers sure can maintain constant temperature, even under dynamic room temp conditions...

A GFCI would be preferred to a grounding probe hands down IMO.

The problem I always had with grounding probes is that they will COMPLETE A CIRCUIT if you have a short. Much more dangerous.

A GFCI would be an ideal setup....

Cameron

Archived