inTank Media Baskets

Never blindly trust your test kits

blasterman

Yep....we've all been bitten by the 'screwed_up_test_kit_fairy' at one time or another.

My best 10gal tank has been going gang busters for several months with perfect water params and eveything growing great. After a light upgrade I noticed my alk started dropping, which I attributed to more nutrient intake. I compensated of course using my two part buffer (Kent, which I plan on changing, but wanted to use up first).

After about a month and a half I started noticing some issues with softies and some dreaded RTN on one of my Acro frags. At first I attributed this to my additional LEDs, but when your GSP starts closing up you have problems. Water change didn't help - Zoas spend half the day retracted and skirts are shriveled. What the Hell?

So I grab Mountain Dew bottle full of tank water and head down to the local reef shop knowing I'd get a good razzing and otherwise in a foul mood. All the basics check out good obviously, but when it came to Alk/dKH/calcium I get the bad news. "Dude, our test kit doesn't go that high, or you brought us a bottle full of paint stripper. Must be those LEDs's yer runnin'". Yeah....hahah.

So I get home, toss my alk test kit in the trash, and order another one. Massive 30% water change. Oh, here's the real funny part. I have a couple 5 gallon jugs and use city water in my freshwater tank and R/O for the reef. I grabbed the wrong jug and used city water for the water change.....

I realized the mistake when two days later the only way I can see in my tank is looking through the snail trails on the glass because algae is so thick thanks to the massive phosphate influx. I think they were trying to spell 'r-e-t-a-r-d backwards. This, combined with the sudden alk/calcium drop also caused a die off from something and then trace ammonia started to show up....grrrrrr. Another water change - 20% this time and proper R/O water. Tank is now starting to settle.

Moral of the story....if you think you have a bad test kit, or it's old, toss it and get a confirmation check. I realize that for some of us it's like asking for directions, but it sure saves a lot of hassle.

I always compare my new test kits with other local reefers. This way you're usually comparing different brands of test kits.

Amphiprion1

I've unfortunately had similar issues in the past with several kits, including what are usually considered "superior" brands. Those tests include alkalinity, magnesium, and calcium.

I dip a "test strip" every month or two in addition to my regular liquid test and compare them to each other - just in case.

What brand was your bad Alk test kit?

Mmmm, can't remember. Labels had long since peeled off. Wasn't API - something more expensive, but I don't recall it being a premium kit.

After my calcium kit expired I tossed it, but since I don't run a reactor and calcium has always run parallel with alk for me with two-parts, I haven't bothered since.

Yeah....and if I had a REAL clue I could have simply tested a fresh salt mix and realized something was FUBAR.

Archived