Innovative Marine Aquariums

How to store RO filter system?

Ando

Pretty much what the topic say..

What's the best way to store my RO/DI system? I keep it in a cool, dark place. Does anyone run just the RO part of the filters for a minute or two? It just seems weird to have water sitting in the filters for a few weeks at a time.

Thanks!

Amphiprion1

I think the usual recommendation is to run it once per week. If not, you need to remove the membrane, store it in a bag of RO/DI water, and place it in the fridge. DI resins should also be kept moist and dark. Other filters should be carefully rinsed (or blasted by the hose to remove some biofilm) and can dry without issues.

I use my RO/DI once a month if that. When I hook it back up, I flush the RO membrane for about 30-45 minutes (an hour max). I don't think you need to remove the membrane as I've left in in many times without problems. You can cause more damage trying to remove the membrane (it can telescope while trying to take it out) than just leaving it in there. I store mine in a rubbermaid container, but I try to empty most the water inside the canisters out.

Amphiprion1
I use my RO/DI once a month if that. When I hook it back up, I flush the RO membrane for about 30-45 minutes (an hour max). I don't think you need to remove the membrane as I've left in in many times without problems. You can cause more damage trying to remove the membrane (it can telescope while trying to take it out) than just leaving it in there. I store mine in a rubbermaid container, but I try to empty most the water inside the canisters out.

How often do you replace your filters and do you track rejection rates and TDS? I don't recommend allowing a few of those filters to dry out. Plus, storing the membrane at room temps for extended amounts of time can encourage bacterial fouling, which kills performance.

AZDesertRat

RO or RO/DI systems should be operated at least very 10-14 days maximum. If not the advice to store the membrane and DI in the refrigerator is correct. Always keep the houisings full and store it in a climate controlled place out of direct lighting. Never ever empty the canisters.

Once bacteria or viruses are present flushing does little. Keep it clean, replace the filters at 6 month intervals with quaqlity replacements and disinfect it at the same time and you should get years of service.

Archived