inTank Media Baskets

Via Aqua Skimmer?

Whitten

Ok so I have heard everything that there is to hear about skimmers, and it is all subjective as far as I have seen. I have heard that Prizims suck to, that they are awesome. My latest foray to the lfs brought me face to face with a product that I have been reading about for quiet a bit now. This is the Via Aqua multi skimmer with a filter media and a 5 watt uv sterilizer.ps_va.jpg I am planning on using this little gizmo in my 30 gallon oceanic cube in conjunction with two 70 gph power heads. The price is right (110.00) after shipping, and I am about ready to get this tank together. I had originally planned on doing an over flow, and sump tank but the cost and hassle of that was way to much for a college apt.

Here is my question, has anyone used this skimmer before? Also if you have give me a heads up as to what it's quirks are. The one that was running in the store seemed to be making a very good froth and a liquid gunk at the bottom of the tank, and the tank was absolutely in perfect shape. I talked with one of the guys that was a new employee there that told me he has tried everything, and really it was all up to me and what worked best for my setup. He said that he had never had a skimmer on any of his tanks before and that the were all just fine, but that a skimmer as such like that little via aqua would be a great way to cover all of my filtrations needs in my little 30 reef. so now that I have written my edict, what do ya'll think? Advice and help will be much appreciated.

I agree that a CPR backpack two would be a great skimmer, but I can only find them online for 170.00 and that doesn't even handle the shipping. I looked at the Remora skimmers, but felt that I could get alot of skimmer for my money with the Viaaqua. I know that the uv sterilizer is alittle over kill, but it comes with the skimmer, and I figure that it won't hurt. Someone else had suggested that I use an Agressor skimmer, but I can't find anyone who carries them.

Archived