Innovative Marine Aquariums

LOW PH, LOW ALK, HIGH CALCIUM?

lovelandbmxrider

yep. Happens when you add calcium W/O alkalinity supplements. WC can straighten it out or addition of baking soda can precipitate some calc. I would suggest not adding anymore calc for a week and test again.

lovelandbmxrider

It's actually been about 2 weeks since I last added anything, I had just Started using two part everything was fine until I tested today. 8dhk 8.2ph, and 500 calcium. I already have some water ready for a wc I will do one on the morning.

LebaneseDlight

You dosing Mg as well, or does your salt mix have high Mg? I found it impossible to get my Ca under 500 when I raised my Mg, and that was without dosing Ca for over a month.

lakshwadeep

How old is the tank? What test kit brands are you using? What is the two part system name? +1 to what's in the tank (livestock).

pH is not really low. Only if its below 7.8 is it a problem.

Use this to learn about calcium/alkalinity problems (2.8 dKH is 1 meq/L)

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issues/nov2002/chem.htm

This is a handy calculator based on the above article for deciding how much to dose:

http://reef.diesyst.com/flashcalc/flashcalc.html

lovelandbmxrider

its a 12g nano cube, I don't dose Mg, I use api (i know), the two part I use is kent nano reef, as far as live stock two fish green chromis, black clown goby, rics, zoas, torch, acan's, monstea, lizard eye chalice, frogspawn, and thats all I can think of right now

I just tested my tank as well for Ca and Kh and my Ca is 620, Kh is only 6 I dosed more Alk to raise my Kh but is having that high of a Ca level bad for the coral? Sorry for stealing your thread but I am having the same problems :)

Tank: 12 gal. nano w/16.5" 70w Sunpod, Cpr Bak-Pak 2 Skimmer

Livestock : Ocellaris Clown, Coral Banded Shrimp, Rose Bubble Tip Nem, Acan, Duncan, variety of Zoa, Pink and Green Open Brain, GSP, Pullsing Xenia, Candy Cane, Green Favia, Crocea Clam, Green Hairy Mush.

lakshwadeep

Do a search for other two parts to use. Also, try to corroborate your results with a different test kit. What is being discussed here is "zone 4" in my first link.

Archived