8.8 PH

7 DKH alk.

Calcium is at 420.

Salinity 1.026.

Mag 1300

Nitrate0

nitrites 0

phosphates 0

Ammonia- the test it hard to rread but looks to be at 0 or close to it.

temp 80F

I do not dose much, I have been gradually adding mag over the last 3 weeks to get it to 1350.

Alkalinity has been a problem for me, I can get it to 9-10 DKH but in 2-3 days it goes right back to 7-7.5 DKH.

My critters are looking good with the exception of my snails who are acting weird, not moving much. This has neen going on as I got the mag over the 1100 mark.

Usually the PH is 8.2 8.4 range. I tested it right before the lights went off and will post another test tomorrow AM. and do a 10%WC.

Thanks.

I did a 20% wc and it dropped to 8.4.then back to 8.8 at the end of the day, i retested twice though the alk is now 10 dkh after the wc.

Thank you for the help lakshwadeep you always post where others fear to tread.

lakshwadeep

You might want to test with a separate kit. Also, search for whether the magnesium supplement causes pH issues; perhaps there is something that doesn't affect alkalinity but causes high pH.

I use the kent marine magnesium, one thing though is that now thst it is nice`we leave the windows open all day, less co2 in the house??

My skimmer broke too that may have something to with it??

about 67% of carbonate ions in seawater exist as ionic pairs with magnesium. Im guessing that as you add your magnesium its essentially sucking up your alkalinity and causing the inconsistency in the pH that you've been seeing.

Amphiprion1

It is true that there is substantial ion pairing involved between CO3-- and Mg++, but it does not really affect test results.

• 4 weeks later...

I was just looking for info because I'm seeing something similar. My dKH is in the 7 range. But my calcium is around 400, my mag is a little above 1200 and my ph is above 8 (I think around 8.4 or so). Is 7 actually a "bad" reading for dKH? Should I really we worried about raising it?

Archived