SaltCritters.com

Shrooms bad for other corals?

Chick8198

I have two red mushrooms that have grown out of the live rock in my 5 gallon nano...the problem is that they are huge...way too big for such a small tank. I would like to move them to my 30 Hex, but I am worried that because the tank is high but not wide, there would not be sufficient room between them and other peaceful softies and LPS corals currently in that tank. I don't want them to release toxins and kill my existing livestock!

How much space is "sufficient space"?

Shrooms use chemical warfare against other corals. Close proximity is ok with weekly water changes, but I wouldn't want the mushrooms to be touching anything else. You could always frag/propagate the mushrooms. If you tear off pieces then the shroom will be smaller and you can put the other pieces in the other tank... they too will grow.

matt the fiddler

i agree with the hack saw approach. cut em up- grow em, and trade em..

or if you really don't want them- let me know ;-)

Tear pieces directly off the disk? Seems so savage!

They definitely need to be moved though, the larger one is a good three inches across during the day...I've already had to move him around the tank because he expands...right into the filter intake.

Hmmm...I don't use carbon in the 30G, though...I do monthly water changes of 10%, and I could probably put him at least 7 or 8 inches away from other corals...would this be sufficient?

I've also heard that shrooms multiply rapidly and will take over the whole tank...something to be concerned about? Although if they do get out of control, Matt you can have as many as you want!

No, it's not that bad.. Shrooms are chill they can touch stuff i haven't had something get fried by zoo's yet.. maybe some super sensitive SPS. but other softies.. no worry.

Many mushrooms actually are some of the most potent stingers going. Provide an inch or so away from any other corals from the mushroom and you will probably be ok - not sure that they engage in anything like alleopathy or not.

Every time mine look like they're getting too big, I tank a scalpel and slice each one in half, right through the mouth! :o

In saying this I started off with 2 small green hairy shrooms/rics, 3 months ago, and now I've got 7! This is even after some of the sliced ones grew back together! Tough little suckers, but now I'm able to make frags to trade/sell!

Originally posted by technoshaman

Many mushrooms actually are some of the most potent stingers going. Provide an inch or so away from any other corals from the mushroom and you will probably be ok - not sure that they engage in anything like alleopathy or not.

They are both corallimorphs - no idea how potent ricordea are but regular smooth shrooms can pack a wallop towards other corals.

Archived