SaltCritters.com

fish stocking parameters

1shibainu

What is generally the accepted stocking levels of fish per gallon? Is it an inch of fish for every gallon? I have started a 7g reef and I want to have three firefish of average size in the tank. Would this be considered too much fish in this size reef tank?

thanks for the input

That's too much. The FW rules of 1" per gallon don't work here (they barely work for FW, actually). In 7g, I would stick to one fish. I'm sure people have gotton away with 2, but 3 is definitely over the top.

For what it's worth, I have one fish in my 10g, and there will be no more. I'd rather have a little room under the "bio-load cap" then flirt with overstocking. Do you plan on keeping corals? Good luck!

it may not be too much because firefish like to be in groups but you will have to watch water parameters. just make sure you leave them enough swimming space but there has to be cover when they need it.

it maybe too much fish..but again, i have 9 fish in my 40gal..hahha

i think the rule of thumb is 1 fish per 5 gallon..

good luck, hmmm...3 firefish? they will fight eachother til they die

Originally posted by anthony812

it maybe too much fish..3 firefish?  they will fight eachother til they die

not true. ONLY THE MALES WILL DO THIS. If U lick out having 2 will be ok. NOT initialy, if U want 3 wait a few months fer the tank to establish. Ive kp 4 fish in small tanks before, U just have to be religious about water quality and teritory disputes.

i have one fish in my 7 now and plan to add a clown fish, but the minute things start getting messy, ones gonna go.......

I have one Saddleback Clown, one Six Line Wrasse, and one Yellow Watchman Goby (small) in my 21g reef, and have no problems (Nitrates under 1.0).

I would agree that perhaps two in your 7g would work. It kind of depends upon the fish. Like everything else I've found in this hobby over the years is that there are very few absolute rules, just general guidelines and practices.

If you must have more than one fish in such a small space, go with two false percula clowns. Make sure they are juvenile (0.5 - 1 " ) and are from the same tank. This is the safest bet for more than one fish in a 7g.

HTH,

Matt

Guest LudavicoTechnique

The rule I go by is 1 inch (lengthwise) of fish for every 5 gallons. It seems to have worked on most of my tank. In my 40g I have a pair of Clarkii Clownfish and a Green Chromis. When you take about 2" for each Clarkii and a 3.5" Chromis, I am about right and it works great.

Bunky Squid

Everyone is always talking about 1 inch to 5 gallons, but IMO it should take into account the volume of the entire system.

So, if you have an out of take sump or refugium that you plan to run, add in the volume of that as well. Unless your fish just don't have room to move ;)

The 1inch fish per 5 Gallons works alright I guess. But, probbaly more safer to go with as less fish as possible in reef tanks.

I only have 2 false perc clowns in my 24G and its going to stay that way.

Less fish = better water quality generally.

Archived