inTank Media Baskets

Yet more Minibow questions from a beginner

trmiv

EDIT: See second post, I keep changing my damn mind on things.

I realize these questions probably get asked 25 times a day, but here goes.

I want to setup a 7 gallon mini-bow after seeing one at my LFS. I've had a 100 gallon, and 10 gallon FO tank in the past for a long time with much success, but this will be my first attempt at a reef system. Basically what I want to know is exactly what I need to retrofit this with to get a nice reef going.

I'm planning on starting this as a FOWLR tank for about 4-6 months, getting everything stable and then adding a few soft corals, feather dusters, etc. If i get good at this, I might consider some hard corals down the line, but only after I feel very comfortable with this setup.

Only things I know for a fact I will be getting so far are:

7 gallon mini-bow

50 watt Ebo Jager heater.

Other than that, I need some help!

So, what lighting is easy to retrofit this tank, and will allow me to keep the stuff I want ? I've heard about 32w kits, but what exactly do I need (links)? Will the 32w SuperNova for the Eclipse fit easily into the hood?

Also, what skimmer is easy to add on to this tank?

What HOB filter could I use with this tank?

Any other information I can get would be great.

Thanks in advance

OK, I keep changing my mind by the minute as I do more research (should have researched, searched, THEN posted, sorry). I think I would be happier with a regular old 10 gallon. So, how does this setup look?

10 gallon all-glas

CSL 20" 2x40w with moonlite

AquaClear 300 with 150 impeller

whatever heater will fit in the AquaClear (suggestions?)

So, can I get some type of surface skimmer for the aquaclear?

I'd also like to add some type of HOB skimmer to this setup

Yes there is a surface skimmer for the AquaClear 300; I’ve seen them at petsolutions.com. In addition, you can put a 50W Visi-Therm Deluxe heater in it along with a Lee's skimmer (however, you’ll have to cut the skimmer down about 2” to get the water line lined up). You can either leave the top off of the HOB, or cut openings in it for your equipment. The following picture is mine with holes for an auto-feeder and the Lee’s skimmer.

tank05.jpg

Cool, that's nice, it would keep everything contained in the filter.

Another question, would a CSL 2x40 w with moonlites be OK First one listed here , or would a PowerQuad 1x96w from championlighting be a better bet? I really like the CSL 2x40 watt setup because of how clean it looks. It looks like a nice setup with the built-in fan. I'm not super handy, so I'm not sure what I could fit that PowerQuad in without a lot of work. Are there hoods I can get with a PowerQuad 96w already in it?

Not that I’ve looked into it much, but the CSL 2x40W looks quite good. It should be fine keeping all sorts of softies in there. However, I wouldn’t bother with SPS.

A PowerQuad would provide more light, but you would have to retrofit it into something. They sell the PowerQuad as a pendant, but that doesn’t sound like what you are looking to buy.

I say go for the CSL 20'' 2x40w Powercompact/Moon-Lite Aluminum Hood.

Yea, that 2x40w setup looks nice. I could not possibly waver on this tank more than I am right now. I'm debating between getting the 7 gallon minibow (yours is really nice BTW), a standard 10 gallon, or really stepping it up, and getting a 20 gallon long.

I think the 20 gallon would probably be the most expensive of the bunch, because then I get into getting a skimmer, more lights, much more live rock, etc.

The minibow just looks so cool, plus the size is right for my cramped apartment. How much work did you have to do to get the 32w supernova in the minibow hood?

Then again, I recall seeing a 16 gallon bow at Petsmart last night, but I can't find it on the AGA site. Am I crazy, or do they make a 16 gallon bow? Now THAT would be the perfect combination of size and looks for me.

Thanks trmiv.

The Mini-Bow 7 is a nice tank. The retrofit light was fairly easy to do, but I don’t mind messing with things like that.

The Mini-Bow 16 isn’t on their site for some reason. I haven’t paid any attention to what people are doing for lighting on it, but I'm sure there are a few threads out there on the subject.

Tough decision, you might also want to look at an AGA 15 gallon tank (24” long); PETCO usually stocks them.

Archived