Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

2 Probs with Clown, What is this? Pic included

trupel

Hi Guys,

I have recently purchased 2 clowns, one of them has this white bump. I have not seen it before and do not know what it is. I have read in this forum that it might be "ick"... any thoughts

20040107clownface1.jpg

20040107clownface2.jpg

The other fish has a problem with its tail I think. It is hard to explain so I hope this Pic will help.

20040107clownTail.jpg

Not sure what the white bumb is. If it goes away in a few days, then comes back with a few friends it's probably Ich and would be best treated with hyposalinity in a quarantine tank. The tail could be damage from being nipped or a bacterial infection. I've found good info on disease treatment and ID over at ReefCentral.com. Suggest you send the pics there too.

I had a clownfish years ago that had the same bump. I figured it was some sort of external parasite, too big to be ich.

A freshwater dip did not remove it and the clown ended up carpet surfing and decided life wasn't worth it anymore =(

Please let us know if you find out anything about the bump!

This is what I do in situations like this:

1) Evacuate ALL fish from the main tank to a fish-only Q-Tank.

2) Dip each fish in a mixture of Methylene Blue (or Formaline I prefer MB because it is less caustic for the fish) and fresh water. Clown fish get a 5 second bath.

3) Quarantine all fish for a minimum of 6 weeks in a hyposalinic tank while also using Copper sulfate.

4) Also, I use antibiotics to ensure secondary infections don't set in.

Here's a link to some common diseases and treatments. http://faq.thekrib.com/disease-sw.html

Now the reason I do all of this is to ensure that all fish that came in contact with an infected fish are cured of any diseases or parasites prior to returning them to the main tank. Secondly, the 6 week wait pretty much ensures what ever caused the initial infection or problem dies in the main tank due to lack of fish to live off of. Third, when I treat a fish I try to elliminate all possible sources of a problem including bacterial, fungal, and/or parasitic.

Well, good luck

Oh, really. I've done this a few times in the last four or so years with out a problem. I've never heard of it being a problem though. I'll have to look inot that. Thanks for the info...

I think that the real problem is that copper's nasty to all life, including fish ... and, if you're treating with hypo anyways, copper won't do much ... or anything at all ... for the health of your fish..

so what do you think is the recommended treatment ?

I am going to get some formulin tomorrow and treat the fish after taking it out and dipping it in some fresh water. I hope this works though. I guess I will keep you all informed!

Fish get beat up in shipping and that stress can lead to fin rot and ick, as well as many other things.

The clown with the white spots, looks like icky. Get some Garlic extract and Selcon, soak their food in it, and feed them. You should see some result within a couple of days. If the one with the fin problems, doesn't clear up with the Garlic/Selcon soak....you might have to treat it with Maracyn (antibiotics) in a QT tank. I've had lots of clowns and used both treatments with success.

I use 4-5 drops, plus a 5ml of selcon....let it soak for 5 minutes or so.

If you don't have the selcon, I'd use 4-5 drops in some fresh water...basically just enough to soak the food. It is very potent stuff!

Also, you might want to vary the diet....try some frozen brine/formula 1/formula 2/cyclop-eeze...all soaked of course!

Good luck!

The second one definatly looks like he got nipped. The first one altough it looks like ICH I really don't think it is. I would still do the food soaked in garlic, I do that anytime I add any fish, and see what happens. ICH is usually smaller and more towards the back from my experiences.

Archived