Cultivated Reef

bad feedback for speakeraddict

wetworx101

I payed skeakeraddict on Dec 8th for a fulham ballast...$50. He said he had 2 of them in a previous forum, and wanted to sell the other. Said someone else had responded first and was going to pay, yet supposedly this person's check bounced.

Contacted me and said he would sell to me then. Cool, I thought.

I payed $50 via paypal on Dec 8th.

I waited.

I sent an email around Dec 17th.

Speakeraddict said he had the flu for 5 days and forgot to ship the ballast.

Said he would do next day...the 18th.

Sent an email a week later, and got the following response:

"I sent a reply to your email on Saturday.

My wife shipped it to you on the 18th (?). I will have to find the receipt. She shipped it USPS insured.

maybe the holidays held it up? I dunno. I shipped another one out earlier this month and he complained about not getting it either and I had already shipped it.

I have no clue what the heck is going on with shipping delays.

"

Seems we have a problem here. If he started with two ballasts, is keeping one, shipped one to another, leaves me with ??? And then it seems that this isnt the first time....

Needless to say, I have contacted paypal, and they are closing the investigation on the 8th so I can get my money back.

Fellow nano-reefers: beware!!!

No, as a matter of fact, I havent. Paypal found him in error as of the 8th, so they attempted a refund. $1.58 The account was cleaned out. That was their refund! Anything else would be up to me. Good news is that ****edit***** is a lawyer is georgia, and can file a small claim in Huntsville, AL...where speakeraddict lives...if I dont get any resolve.

Then on the 8th I get an email from him. He said he had split with his wife on christmas, and since went out to her van...finding my ballast as well as some other items he had trusted her to ship inside (as well as his accounts being cleaned out). Ok, ok, Im not heartless, so I said if he shipped me the ballast I would pay the $1.58 back, as well as an extra $5 or so if he used UPS this time so I could track it. And, along those lines, I would consider the issue resolved...everything back to good faith as making good on a bad mistake which may not have been his fault.

He agreed to send out the ballast the next day from his work, seeming to be embarrased and with firm resolve to finish the transaction promptly...even denying any further payment from me, stating my patience was more than enough. Now, UPS should take a max of 5 days from just about anywhere in the US, right? It's the 15th and still no ballast.

Speaker, if you see this, know this: It might seem a little far fetched to take someone to court for $50, esp across country, ******edit******* is a lawyer...you just might be made an example of. I will mail you notice. You have 30 days to pay up with interest. If you do not pay, you get taken to court. You can be held accountable according to your state's law for 3x the original amount plus lawyer fees. Thats $150...plus lawyer fees well over $2000. I hate people who try to make a fast buck off mail order / ebay...esp during the holidays. Fair trade.

hes on reefcentral as well, bet he didnt know that I knew. his frequent posts stopped as of the 1st...but not over there!!! Im gonna go give'em hell right now.

got this today from the stir I made at reefcentral:

Hi Wetworx,

Unfortunately you are not the only one that Speakeraddict owes. He has promised some work to at least a couple of people on NARC. On the other hand he helped others by doing a number of favors in the recent past. We are taking a wait-and-see position presently until his divorce goes thru and he is back on his feet. Please keep us posted of any progress on your situation.

Tomoko Schum

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.p...threadid=300784

the story continues, for those who wish to read...it seems I am not the only one, as I have been getting emails from quite a few people that speakeraddict owes. I am encouraging them to join me in my two-pronged strategy on how to deal with this situation. Please, if you have been taken adventage of by speaker addict, please post here with details and contact info, so that the FBI - IFCC can read it, or file your own complaint with them at www.ifccfbi.gov

Another messagew from Tomoko at reefcentral.com...btw tomoko is a reefer from Madison, AL:

Hi Jon,

I am giving you the following information so that you know what is going on with speakeraddict and people around here. As I stated earlier, we are giving another chance to speakeraddict at the moment. Hopefully he will come through with his promise in a few days. I would like you to keep the information confidential for now. If speakeraddict fails to deliver the things he promised in a week or so, or if someone decides to join you and take him to the small claims court, I will let you know.

Speakeraddict owes one shop owner quite a bit in terms of aquarium supplies. I don't know the exact amount. Speakeraddict promised to get a website up for the shop in exchange of some supplies - live rocks, light reflectors, etc. The shop owner does not want to push the issue just yet, because of the bitter divorce/family situation speakeraddict is currently going through.

Another shop had a disagreement with speakeraddict about repairing a damaged canopy. The shop owner is not a nice person and he tried to get too much work out of speakeraddict for a small amount he promised to pay for the repair. I don't think they resolved the issue yet.

speakeraddict also owes me some work. I supplied materials and provided some coral frags, etc. in exchange. My cost is small - a little over $100. I am giving speakeraddict till Wednesday to finish with the work he promised. I hope he will finish it. He is already done with most of it (I know this because I saw what he has done so far), but it is taking a rather long time for him to finish the last little bit.

One of NARC member seems to be happy with the help speakeraddict provided.

Do you know of any other person who is unhappy with speakeraddict?

Tomoko Schum

speakeraddict

I have sent you my phone# for contact for a refund.

I have also taken the steps to resolve the canopy issue with Tomoko tomorrow evening. As far as the website, that has been discussed and he is understanding of my situation and it will be launched in the morning.

Sorry for any inconvenience. My life has been turned upside down by this seperation, custody, etc.

This whole thing sucks. I guess it has effected more people than my children and myself.

Again, I am sorry.

speakeraddict

speakeraddict

Well, I appreciate that.

I hope to get my whole life straightened out.

I am sorry to have caused anyone any inconvenience.

speakeraddict

I can understand issues such as these. Not that I have been through a divorce or anything, but there are things in live that come along and take presidence over everything else. Makes things complicated and messy in the long run if communication is not left open.

Good to see you are keeping communication open or at least trying to. Hope all goes well to both of you.

matt the fiddler

man- when people state the facts.. with out tons of mudslinging, the system works nicely, doesn't it. awesome job staying cool Wet- more than i would probably be able to do..

speakeraddict

The refund finally posted!

Transaction Details

PayPal Balance Adjustment (ID #8MG40477XU911860L)

Name:

PayPal Balance Adjustment

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Total Amount:

-$48.42 USD

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Date:

Feb. 4, 2004

Time:

08:12:51 PST

Completed

Subject:

Refund for case #PP-028-871-834

Archived