Top Shelf Aquatics

Lex's 20 High Mixed Reef

lex0219

you got a whole colony as hitchhikers? that is a pretty sweet deal.

Yep sure did! It was from an established system though. They are greenish/brown depending on the lighting and seem to be very hardy. But I think I am going to trade them away for a rock to takes it's place as space is at a premium with nano's.

Alright it is time for an update! Sorry for the delay I have just been swamped with school. On Tuesday I picked up my current CUC which include 2 Turbos, 5 Dwarf Blue Leg Hermits and 4 Nassarius Snails. They seem to be doing a good job so far of cleaning up all my unsightly algae but I do plan to add a few more members. Namely a Cleaner and Peppermint shrimp. I also got rid of the Paly Hitchhikers and got a new rock to replace it. I did go to a local FRAG meeting this past Saturday and picked up a few things for myself. Just three little frags and I got them for a steal. They include a small piece on Idaho Grape, a 1 inch Incredible Hulk Arco and 1 inch semi branching Army Green Stag. They are all in my QT at the moment and seem to be doing well after a minor temp swing, but the 6 inch clip on fan is working its magic and all is well. And as far of the Auto Top Off goes I set it up but the float switch is not working that well so I will be getting a new one in the next week.

Here are my water parameters as of tonight.

Temp - 79.7

Specific Gravity - 1.025

PH - 8.2

Nitrate - 0

Nitrite - 0

Ammonia - 0

And some pics!

FTS as of today

20GallonHighReef006-2.jpg

Acclimating CUC

20GallonHighReef003-5.jpg

Some random shots, notice the algae is getting kind of bad so I'll be adding a few more CUC members to take care of it.

20GallonHighReef007-4.jpg

20GallonHighReef008-3.jpg

20GallonHighReef009-1.jpg

20GallonHighReef002-1.jpg

20GallonHighReef014.jpg

20GallonHighReef015.jpg

And here are some pics of the Auto Top Off so far

20GallonHighReef010-2.jpg

20GallonHighReef011-1.jpg

20GallonHighReef012.jpg

20GallonHighReef013.jpg

And as far as the details of the Quarantine Tank go it is a Standard AGA "Leader". I am running a 24'' 130 Watt Coralife Compact Florescent Aqualife unit at the same time interval as the 20H which is now 12 Noon - 11PM. And is sits on three pieces of Redwood to prop up the light. I have a Whisper HOB Filter running carbon and an AZOO powerhead which puts out 180GPH and that will soon be upgraded. It does have a 6 Inch Clip on personal fan I got at Walmart to keep the temp down and a cheapey thermometer in their as well. Also before any corals go into the QT they are dipped in Revive and I will soon be using Interceptor to treat for red bugs.

Water parameters as of tonight in the quarantine tank.

Temp - 78

Specific Gravity - 1.024

PH - 8.2

Nitrate - 0

Nitrite - 0

Ammonia - 0

And some pics of the QT.

First FTS

20GallonHighReef004-1.jpg

Current FTS W/ Lighting

20GallonHighReef017.jpg

Dipping the coral in Revive and then acclimating.

20GallonHighReef005-1.jpg

Top Down shot

20GallonHighReef018.jpg

My three frags on the right

20GallonHighReef019.jpg

Mag Rack with all the frags on it. Only three are mine all the others are a fellow reefers, I am keeping them till he has his own QT set up.

20GallonHighReef020.jpg

Let me know what you think if if you have any comments, concerns, suggestions, advice!

Looking great Lex.

Those Paly hitch hikers are cool.

Thanks! I did get rid of them though since space is at a premium. I am thinking some killer SPS or a Zoa garden!

I like the simplicity of your setup, great job.....your light is awesome too..

Thanks man! And ya I definitely like it hanging down a lot better than the legs.

I got it from MarineDepot but they price match so I got the price off Dr. Foster & Smith. Here is a link to the product page.

http://www.marinedepot.com/Azoo_Cooling_Fa...ILTACAF-vi.html

Just be aware that you will have to cut the lip off the top of your fuge since I saw you where using a standard AGA. Just in 2 spots that would be around 1 inch long each. Hence why it is on the AC110.

tundrashaul

In your opinion do you think i need it with the T5s, versus your MH??? It just looks "made for the job" and has a clean look!!!!!!!!

Honestly I don't have much experience with T-5's so maybe someone with some more experience will chime in here. But It does do it's job very well and has a clean look, my personal mentality is better safe than sorry and if you don't run your AC 24/7 in the summer a fan is definitely a must. Plus last time I checked it was on sale :D

hooligan_78

Your system just gets better and better! It's funny you mentioned trimming the lip on the aquarium, for the Azoo fans, I bought the LED strip they make for my fuge and saw the clamp won't work on a standard aquarium, fortunately I was able to hook it to a baffle in my sump. Again, amazing tank, keep it up!

Your system just gets better and better! It's funny you mentioned trimming the lip on the aquarium, for the Azoo fans, I bought the LED strip they make for my fuge and saw the clamp won't work on a standard aquarium, fortunately I was able to hook it to a baffle in my sump. Again, amazing tank, keep it up!

Thanks! :D Ya just want to be sure that people know, I got a little frustrated till I thought to put it on the AC110.

i like your scape!

looking forward to seeing your tank with corlz in it!

Lol I can't wait as well! But they have to go through the quarantine process first.

Nice build! How much does the fan lower the temp?

Thank you! And about 3-4 degrees on average. Works perfect for my set up.

icecoldcrazy
In your opinion do you think i need it with the T5s, versus your MH??? It just looks "made for the job" and has a clean look!!!!!!!!

i have the wavepoint t5 system on my tank and its great. i have to 12000k bulbs and 2 460/420 actinics and it looks awsome. by colors are very bright and vibrant. the light itself gets a little warm but have not noticed it heating my water up any.

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?...p;#entry2813263

Thanks for the info icecoldcrazy! :D

So a little update, have a crazy amount of pods all over and the algae is virtually gone. now I just have little brown pellets all over the tank from the Turbo's lol. But I have also lost 2 blue legs so I will be getting a few replacements in the next couple days and a few more snails as well as a pep shrimp. I have some sweet zoa's and a green birdsnest coming in Wednesday and some ric's around that time as well. I will also be adding the new ATO shortly! I will also be borrowing my girls camera to see if I can get some better shots, though I am 90% sure it is me and not the camera lol. I lack camera skill's Ill admit it.

Wow speechless!!! i havnt been on here for couple days but its looks wonderful!!!

Thanks! It will look better when I get my Zoas and Rics in the QT and get my interceptor so I can add those SPS to the tank!

any updated pic yet? great tank..

Ya I will try to get one up in the next few days here. I'm sorry for tge delay it has just been a crazy week with finals as well as the fact I just started a new job at the new aquarium out here :D now I am around fish 24/7 it feels like lol. And I also have a sweet 160 thousand gallon tank to look at all day long. As well as a few others!

Ya I will try to get one up in the next few days here. I'm sorry for tge delay it has just been a crazy week with finals as well as the fact I just started a new job at the new aquarium out here :D now I am around fish 24/7 it feels like lol. And I also have a sweet 160 thousand gallon tank to look at all day long. As well as a few others!

Nice i see alot of benefits!!!! EMPLOYEE DISCOUNTS!!!!!!! Good luck with finals! i think i just bombed mine alex. LOL

Archived