inTank Media Baskets

A few RO questions

smokey_the_bear

smokey_the_bear

Alright I have a coral life 24 gpd ro unit, my tds readings for the water source in my neighborhood is 322, but I also have a water softner in my home. My question is will my ro unit produce water with a acceptable tds? I think my home water pressure is good too, it's seems strong so I don't have a booster pump.

Thanks, Ryan

AZDesertRat

The only way to know for sure is hook it up to the softened water and test the TDS from the RO. It should be in the 6 to 10 range if its working properly which for me I would add a DI stage to it. One thing is it will be painfully slow as the 24 GPD is 24 GPD at 77 degre F water temp and 65 psi pressure, neither of which almost none of us have so in reality you can probably expect 15 gallons in a full 24 hour day.

My idea of acceptable TDS for a reef system is 0 since low levels of weakly ionized substances like phosphates, nitrates and silicates don't register well on a hobbyist grade TDS mter and are probably getting through. Fresh DI in a vertical canister helps tremendously here.

smokey_the_bear

yeah im going to sell my ro unit, not loosing anything i got it when petco had a huge typo and put them on their website for 2 cents lol i think that was late 2008, bwahahaha. thanks for the tip :D

AZDesertRat

OK I see you edited your wording.

Look for a RO/DI with a 75-90 GPD membrane, TDS meter, pressure gauge, full size replacement filters and a full size vertical DI.

or you can spend 25bucks or so and order a DI canister kit off Bulk reef supply and add it to your unit. Thats what I did with my Coralife 24GPD unit

Archived