Cultivated Reef

? adding a sump to a BC29

AZINDY

I've spent more then a few hours searching the forum looking for answers to my question, but came up empty handed. I'm sure someone on here has done this already, so hopefully you guys can help me out here.

I have had BC29 for a few years now, and everything is doing good. Right now it has the BC skimmer on it, but I want to put a better skimmer in it. I live in the desert so the tank has to be topped off daily, which is why I haven't put a better skimmer in chamber 2. When we built the stand we made sure there was enough room in the stand to add a sump later if needed.

So my question is...... has anyone drilled the back glass on an older BC29?

I have only seen this on the JBJ nano cubes. But it should be a easy to do. Now I'm not sure if the back glass on the BC is tempered or not. If it is, I would not take a chance on drilling it.

Can the back compartment lid come off so you can add a HOB skimmer? I have the bc8 but I remember that the bc29 had the smaller lid towards the back.

Thats good to know that the glass is not tempered. Harbor Freight sells the correct bit for this.

no harbor freight only has two sizes u can get it from ebay for around 15 bucks....but check i guess i check a few months ago haha wow i've been doing crazy research

I guess he wants a better performing skimmer.

Kirby,

Is your back compartment open (like the jbj nano cube 28) or is there a small lid that covers up the filter system? If there is are you able to remove this lid by removing the hinge pins?

which would be the Tunze 9002

Yes, but also depending how much bioload there is going to be. He also has the option of going with the Euro Reef nano skimmer as well.

here's johnnybravo22 bc 29 im trying something like his... he's from RC

Thanks!!! That's what I have been looking for. I have friend that has everything needed to drill a tank, he just didn't know if the back glass was tempered. And we weren't willing to take a chance breaking my tank.

Why not add the Tunze 9002 and an ATO instead of the sump?

I had thought about running that skimmer more then a few times, but it has to go in the 2nd chamber. I know an ato would help keep the water level in chamber 2 stable, but it doesn't leave much room for anything else. I figure if I add a sump it gives me a little more total gallons of water. Plus I can put a refuge in the sump, and room for more live rock to help with natural filtering.

Thanks to everyone who responded to my question!!!!!

Well after talking it over with my friend that knows how to drill my tank, we came up with a game plan. He has all the plumbing parts I need and I have an extra 10g tank. So in the next few weeks we are going to tear down my bc29 one day and add the sump with a few mods

Definitely drill it it gives u more fun things to do lol...thats my logic :)

Well after talking it over with my friend that knows how to drill my tank, we came up with a game plan. He has all the plumbing parts I need and I have an extra 10g tank. So in the next few weeks we are going to tear down my bc29 one day and add the sump with a few mods

I hope my thread gave you some inspiration to take the dive and do it!! :D

BTW, I've drilled 10 or so tanks now, and have always had trouble with blowout on thinner glass. I tried putting tape on the dry side this time, and WOW, what a difference. I used "Gorilla Tape", most sticky awesome amazing tape.. My holes turned out flawless, with no blowout at all

Well did some test fitting in the stand last night, and it looks like I'll be able to use one of my spare 20G tanks. That's twice the size of sump I thought I could use, I knew we made my stand big for a reason. Hopefully next week I'll have time to design the baffle set up and put the baffles in my 20g. I just need to decide what skimmer we want to use so I can design the sump accordingly. I'll start a new thread once I start getting the sump built........ I can't wait, this is something I have wanted to do since we first set up our nano a few years ago.

Archived