Cultivated Reef

marine snow

august213

Does anyone use this? Does it work?

Works good at fowling your water up. I tried it and ended up throwing it out.

Might want to get a few more opinions though.

bfruacikned

I have used it a couple times in my nano.... turned off all the pumps but the koralia in the tank. All the polyps on my two SPS retracted completely almost immediately and came back out an hour or so later, not sure if thats good or bad! I've read some say SPS only uses light for food and some say it likes the micro stuff too. Didn't have any effect on the tank parameters. I wonder if copepods eat it?

steviejitsu

i used it and saw no effect. I heard its just dumping waste into the system so i stopped using it

Most marine snow serve as a nutrient transporter for trace elements and some brands carry some form of bonding agent that attracts yellow compounds and eliminate organic acids. I've used two brands and never had a problem with any of the two.

waste of $$ in my opinion. so is DT's phytoplankton. only thing they have done for me is destroy my water quality and grow massive amounts of algae. there will be enought chit floating around in the water to feed it in an established tank

I use Brightwell's Marine Snow and my corals seem to like it. They have instant feeding response as soon as I add it too the tank. I only use 2.5ml once maybe twice a week. Other than frozen food and occasional dry fish food its the only "coral food" I add to the tank. I don't really know how beneficial it is only that my corals seem to respond to it and I see no ill effects.

I have used it but recently stopped. I just use Ocean Nutrition Nano Reef Food once a week. I have a Gorgonian in my tank and it seems to be doing well since I stopped dosing Marine Snow. I have a friend who has a Bluberry Gorgonian which is almost impossible to keep in a reef system due to their sensetive nature and according to most advanced aquarium experts. but he swears that Marine Snow has been his success in keeping it alive a growing he has even started fragging it. So I guess it works. His tank is amazing to look at. Just my 2 cents.

Archived