SaltCritters.com

how i drop nitrate

jellyfish521

OClownsandNanos
i want to drop my nitrate

It would help if you could describe your setup for us - what equipment do you have, what do you have in your tank, how much do you feed, etc. (I'm assuming this is an ongoing problem, not the end of a cycle and something a large water change could fix.)

It would help if you could describe your setup for us - what equipment do you have, what do you have in your tank, how much do you feed, etc.

+1

all i can say right now is waterchange

jellyfish521

my tank is a pacific coast aquatic 12.7 gal with two fish i have start the 25 December 2009 i have some problem with my alkalinity

one is a yellow tang and the other is a clown fish i feed them 5 day per week i use a seachem marine basic and i test just after the water change

mastahluong
my tank is a pacific coast aquatic 12.7 gal with two fish i have start the 25 December 2009 i have some problem with my alkalinity

one is a yellow tang and the other is a clown fish i feed them 5 day per week i use a seachem marine basic and i test just after the water change

PLEASE tell me you're not being serious?!? :o

Not to be off topic but that setup is pretty small for a tang....

kennycs1292

i hate to be a tang police, and normally idc if a tang is in a 30g tank if its small or something like that, but 12 gallons is wayyyy to small

mastahluong

Take out the tang and give it to somone with a larger tank(75+) or even take it to you LFS(local fish store). Do some more water changes and feed ONLY 1-2 times per week. How much live rock and live sand do you have in the tank? Are you running any kind of media like carbon?

Stick your finger in the tank to get it wet, place your wet finger in some sugar and put it in the filter of your tank. Repeat daily for 2 weeks and check your levels. Double dose if they don't go down.

vodka dosing is pretty percise and i wouldnt try it.

id get rid of the poor tang and keep up with weekely water changes

AFRobert568

Test the water that you use to change water. If it has nitrates in it you will be fighting a never-ending battle. If you do weekly water changes your nitrates shouldn’t get that high unless you are doing something crazy like dumping your food in there to promote fast fish growth. Also don’t disturb your tank much to prevent any "mini cycles" from occurring. Oh yeah removal of the tang will help.

Test the water that you use to change water. If it has nitrates in it you will be fighting a never-ending battle. If you do weekly water changes your nitrates shouldn’t get that high unless you are doing something crazy like dumping your food in there to promote fast fish growth. Also don’t disturb your tank much to prevent any "mini cycles" from occurring. Oh yeah removal of the tang will help.

Tang in a 12 gallon, 5x a week feedings.

ya are you using RO/DI water?

lakshwadeep

Yeah, you can't keep something like a tang (which are very active) and feed 5 times a week and expect low nitrates. 25 ppm is not that bad to most livestock except to delicate corals. Don't go by a fish's juvenile size when deciding whether it should stay in a tank.

Archived