Innovative Marine Aquariums

Heating the water

ReefNewbie

So I have finally made around 40 gallons of ro/di water in a rubbermaid trash can. I am getting ready to heat the water up, and a question came to mind. Should I throw a powerhead into the trashcan while the heater is on so that the water can be circulated and evenly heated??

Reefer_Buddha

yes. you dont wana throw cold water back into your tank. Needs to be the same temp, and salinity when you do water changes. Also helps to mix the salt when you're making new salt water

he didn't ask to heat it up or not, he asked if he should put a powerhead to circulate the water while it's heating...

anybody know that much about water molecules?

reefermadness

Two H's and One O.....;)

It's a good idea to keep the water moving for oxygenation and even heat distribution. Plus it's fun when you forget the powerhead is on and squirt water on your pant leg. It gives your significant other a moment of comic relief to your time consuming, stupid hobby.

Originally posted by reefermadness

Two H's and One O.....;)

Don't forget about those amazing hydrogen bonds (the same bonds that make silly putty so silly).

Originally posted by Reefer_Buddha

rehren and the answer was yes. read before you open your mouth again.

i did read your reply, and you should watch your own mouth. your reply was unclear, the two followup sentances mention nothing about a powerhead, the third says it [the powerhead] will help mix water. so i guess, in a way, you answered it, you just didn't mention anything about water circulation and even heat distribution that the question asked.

Reefer_Buddha

Topic says "Heating the Water" and youre talking about water circulation now. Im not sure if the person that posted is confused or you are. My point was the first word in my reply was "yes". He asked if he needed a powerhead in a bucket, i said yes. I then told him its good for mixing salt AS WELL AS circulation water around the heater. You didnt provide any answer as well, you just posted a ####y comment about noone answering it so i corrected you.

the original post said "...so that the water can be circulated and evenly heated??" - i didn't bring up circulation. i didn't respond with an answer because i didn't know the answer, i was hoping to churn up a response directed more towards the original question at hand, heating water and circulation, that's it. sheesh.

Reefer_Buddha

reefnewbie , yes put a powerhead in the water.

rehren sorry if i came off sh*tty. i know you were just tryin to help.

reefermadness
Originally posted by Steve

I was told you should always cure these types of trash can before use, is this true?

Thanks!

Steve-

I'm not sure about a "trash can" but I always use food grade containers that look just like trash cans (except they are white) that I buy from a restaurant supply place just to be sure. The cool thing about these is that you can buy a wheel dolly for them and move them around easily. They cost slightly more, but so does everything "safe". I'm not sure how you would "cure" a trash can, but I've known people who have used them without problems. The white cans are good because you can tell if they need cleaning more easily. My salt mix can, using only five stage RO/DI with new filters, still gets slimy after a while (probably the Kent mix). The slime was worse with Instant Ocean, for what that's worth.

Curing plastic containers –

1.) Fill with tap water

2.) Mix 1 cup Clorox and 10 lbs rock salt into 25-35 gallon

drum (sit 4-5 days)

3.) Wash out several times

4.) Open air cure for 2-days

reefermadness

Chlorox and a hard scratchy mineral rubbing the plastic to make sure you impregnate the container really well with it???!!! Seriously?

no thanks.....I'll do fine with the food grade containers I've been using for the past fifteen years of mixing salt water for my tanks. They are really easy to find and they are in most cities that have places to dine: Yellow Pages, Restaurant Supplies

My local restaurant supply place was so interested in my hobby that they made a point to give me the 10-lot pricing, which made the containers about the same price as the trash can, not counting the chlorox or rock salt.

Hello Madness,

I agree with you, this sound like a lot of work. This is something I heard on another thread the other night. I will be looking for some food grade containers.

Thanks for the info!

Steve-:P

Archived