Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Dosing Pickling Lime

32Bit_Fish

Guys,

The calcium was at 387 last time I tested. One thing I noticed the coraline never grows in my tank that is 4 month old.

I'm going to test the water for calcium again tonight. I will start dosing pickling lime water if the cal is still under 400. -_-

what salt are u using? if its the old OI then u need something new.

the lime water will raise it up. but i rather use pure ca.

what salt are u using? if its the old OI then u need something new.

the lime water will raise it up. but i rather use pure ca.

I have been using Instant Ocean.

What's so good about pure CA?

PIckling lime (Mrs Wages brand at least) has shown to be safe and just as good as good the aquarium grade kalkwasser. It's food grade and many folks use it because it's cheaper.

Pickling Lime/Kalk will raise alk as well which is also needed. So pure Ca is not necessarily a good idea unless you are happy with your current alk. But that is only for adjustments. Alk will fall and you need to raise it with an alk supplement as well. Pickling lime/kalk has both. Or do a 2 part.

Also, coralline algae consumes a lot of Mg. You have to measure that as well.

oh, I thought coraline growth is solely rely on calcium. Thanks for the info.

At this point, I dont have a Mag test kit. So I will get one.

I have frogspawn, torch, acan, zoas, kenya tree, pulsing xiena, mushroom, favia and two large fire shrimp. I believe the shrimp needs calcium to molt properly, correct?

The ALK was at 3.43 when I tested last time.

I use Salifert test kits.

+1 to the using the calculator. 2-part will work better for you then picking lime, and easier and safer to dose. Figure out much of Ca and ALK your tank using per day. and dose accordingly.

I believe the shrimp needs calcium to molt properly, correct?

That would be Iodine or Iodide..I think.

But, testing for that is complicated AND even a small overdose could and will crash your tank...so...personally, I don't mess with it.

I'm guessing by pure CA you are speaking of anahydrous calcium , you can get it at the pool stores. I use a 2part with it and baking soda, also use a little Epsom salt. Kalk will work but does have some unwanted side effects. It will really get your mag up faster than calc or alk.

Archived