Top Shelf Aquatics

Calcium

nole1968

My calcium seems to stay over 500 constantly. My 14BC is still new. I have a few Turbo snails and assorted soft corals. Will the levels slowly drop over time or should I be concerned ?

Interesting article, My Alk tested at 7 last night. I assumed the coraline would start using up some of the calcium.

wat salt are u using and whats your SG?

as long as theres no crystallization of calcium your not in big trouble. are u dosing anything? or running a reactor?

u can do a water change to lower it.

My SG is at 1.025 and I'm not dosing anything or running a reactor. I've been using Oceanic salt mix.

I change 10 % on monday and 20% on friday but it's always tested the same.

Amphiprion1
wat salt are u using and whats your SG?

as long as theres no crystallization of calcium your not in big trouble. are u dosing anything? or running a reactor?

u can do a water change to lower it.

I'll second this question. If you have a brand of salt with pretty elevated calcium concentrations and you do frequent water changes, you'll never get control of those levels. If you add something on top of that, you are only exacerbating the situation.

Have you used a different test kit? What is the calcium level of your water change water?

Wonder if he is using Oceanic salt mix. I know it pushes 550

Wonder if he is using Oceanic salt mix. I know it pushes 550

I've been using Oceanic salt mix.

Hell, I think I'll move over to Oceanic. Having Ca at 500 is a problem I would like to have...

Amphiprion1
I am using Ocianic, I'll test the water change water tomorrow. What salt are you guys using ?

I just use Instant Ocean that has been boosted with respect to Ca and Mg. I don't have to boost it much with some of the more recent batches.

I used to use Oceanic. Always had high Ca but low Alk. Had to supplement Alk to keep levels normal. After your tank matures and you add more corals the reef will start using the Ca.

Using Oceanic as well and my Calcium is over 500. Tested the WC and it was 540.

Reading a lot of threads that say Oceanic has very high Ca and low alk which is where I am at right now. Reef Crystals has a better alk, and at 1.26 comes in at 440 Ca.

Challenge is bringing down the Ca levels when it is at or over 500 - many people say they would love that problem, and frankly i have only read a couple of threads that say it "could" be harmful to the corals. Maybe we can get some of the seasoned pros to chime in on the calcium level over 500 - assuming you get the alk to an appropriate level and PH is in check.

Archived