Cultivated Reef

Moving a tank.........

aj1au

Im moving house this weekend and i wanted to see if anyone has any tips for moving a 10G tank - what is the best way to keep the bacteria alive and will it cycle again?

It will take about an hour to move (max)

If it's still a box of rocks, drain it down to the substrate, if any. Cover the substrate with plastic wrap to make sure it stays moist. Put the water into buckets and put the rocks in the water. Transport them in the buckets. Try to keep them from getting too hot or cold. If you use the same water and keep everything wet during transport, you should have little or no cycle.

Good luck!

I moved my 10g with the substrate and about an inch of water in it. Support the bottom while moving it. Mine moved fine, only had to drive about 10 miles, but loading/unloading and stuff still took an hour.

I put small heaters in my buckets while I was waiting for the tank to clear and come up to temp. The salinity and water (NSW) was the same so I put the rock and corals right back in. I acclimated the fish, shrimp, hermits, and snails though.

LITTLEFISHEE

You'd want to buy battery operated bubbleboxes and try to keep the temp as close to normal as possible. I moved my 110g about 3 weeks ago, and the high that day was 68. The water temp in the coolers holding my corals and fish dropped down to 70 from 80.1, and the water to refill the tank was at 69. We had to wait a very long time before we could put things back in the tank. Everything pulled through, so it's not as scary as it appears.

I'm worried about when i'll have to move my tank next fall.... Should i have 3 seperate buckets? 1 for liverock 1 for corals and 1 for fish? I'm worried the corals will start making the water toxic from the stress... it'll be about a 3 1/2 hour car drive

I used 2 buckets and 2 coolers. Rocks in the buckets, livestock in plastic baggies. I was afraid of the corals (especially frog, sps, and brain) rolling around in the bucket so I bagged 'em up and put them in some coolers. You probably don't need to really worry about the temp drop for your live rock, just the live stock. For the rock, keeping the water aerated is probably more important due to the bacteria. That would avoid a die off and cycle.

Archived