Top Shelf Aquatics

Alkalinity Salifert Test (Help)

paulski1

Hi there! I have started using the Ca, Mg, and KH/Alk and I have been successful with the readings and have reached my target numbers for the first 2. However, my KH/Alk is like 20! Which I found ridiculous. So I tested again and again, the same results as the firsts. (in low resolution mode)

So, I did a water change. 20%. I tested, Ca, Mg -- 440 and 1440 respectively. KH/Alk still high-->18.

I thought, am I doing the testing wrong? (I followed the instructions step by step - using low resolution)

Question: Does it have something to do with the extra bottle that says 7.3 dkh +/- 0.3? Do i need to use it?

Thanks in advance for the help.

bluefunelement

+ 1 check it against your solution

your likely reading the syringe wrong - try normal resolution to make it easier!

Isn't that a bottle to calibrate?

Yes, it is.

That bottle is to be used as a test sample to make sure the test is working correctly.

Do a test using the "7.3" bottle as the water sample.

Do it in hi res and see if you get a result close to 7.3 dKh after doing that, then report back here.

Once you've done that, we'll know if your test kit is measuring accurately or not.

Thanks. So, I did use it to check how far my readings were, I get 9 using the calibration bottle. I did the same routine for this, same low resolution. same steps. Any ideas how to bring my 18 down to normal (7 or 8)? I will try high resolution next...

Ok here's the latest...I did full resolution-->I got a 7 using the calibration bottle

When I used my tank water---> the liquid in the syringe ran out... the solution was still blue. (when it was suppose to turn pink)

Any thoughts how to lower it? (how many percent should I do water change?) Is there a solution to lower it?

Thanks again.

Walking_Target

If you're getting a reading of 9 then a reading of 7 using the calibration fluid, you're doing something wrong.

1. Take 4ml of the CALIBRATION FLUID and place it into the test vial. Make sure to clean the test vial with RO/DI and to dry it with a piece of paper towel.

2. Add 2 drops of the blue indicator solution. thorougly, but gently mix. DO NOT USE ANYTHING TO STIR THE SOLUTION.

3. put the needle tip on the 1ml graduated syringe.

4. Shake the KH Reagent bottle for 5 seconds.

5. Draw EXACTLY 1ml up into the 1ml syringe. Do not worry about the air in the syringe, this was the air that was in the needle tip.

6. add ONE DROP AT A TIME to the vial, mixing/flicking/shaking the vial between drops. (agitate the stuff in the bottom, do not stir, do not cover with a finger and shake.)

7. at the first hint of pink color, take note and add only ONE drop at a time. even more carefully.

Quick Update. So, I did tell my LFS about it and they thought that it may be the salt I am using. So, I bought the SALINITY Brand (Aquavitro/Seachem) and I did water changes over the past 3 days. (I did that before too even before switching - but no change). So, I have been testing and water changing with the new salt, and I have noticed my alkalinity going down. I am at 16 now from a high of 20 before!

lakshwadeep

So, have you tested your water with another test kit? What was the salt brand you were using? Changing your salt brand is pretty drastic and IMO doesn't really explain why you should have such a high alkalinity value. What does the test say for newly mixed saltwater?

So, have you tested your water with another test kit? What was the salt brand you were using? Changing your salt brand is pretty drastic and IMO doesn't really explain why you should have such a high alkalinity value. What does the test say for newly mixed saltwater?

Ok, so i mixed in new saltwater and I tested it (even without putting it in the tank). The readings are way off (i finished the syringe and the solution didn't even change color, using high resolution). I will go ahead and get the LFS test for me.

might be the test kit. coz i have followed the steps word per word.

Thanks guys.

Archived