Innovative Marine Aquariums

Dosing Cal and Alk

DaneTrain

I have a biocube 29 I have a Maroon Clown a dottyback, and a Strawberry Crab, Duncan, Zoas, and some mushrooms. Ive been dosing a teaspoon a day of Kent nanoReef A and B, everyday. I do a 5 gallon water change every week. I tested my Calcium and its currently around 380. I would like it to be around 450. I am wondering if its okay to just add more of Part A to raise the Calcium and to keep the ALK dose the same considering my ALK is good. Thank You

Amphiprion1
I have a biocube 29 I have a Maroon Clown a dottyback, and a Strawberry Crab, Duncan, Zoas, and some mushrooms. Ive been dosing a teaspoon a day of Kent nanoReef A and B, everyday. I do a 5 gallon water change every week. I tested my Calcium and its currently around 380. I would like it to be around 450. I am wondering if its okay to just add more of Part A to raise the Calcium and to keep the ALK dose the same considering my ALK is good. Thank You

Yes, you can do it that way. Use the calculator mojorizn linked and get a good idea of how much part A you'll need.

Those balanced numbers aren't the levels you should necessarily shoot for. Those are numbers that show what the parameters would be if you were to take natural seawater levels, boost it by the number you indicated, and show what equal additions of both calcium and alkalinity would net you. For example, if you started out with NSW @ 7 dKH and 420 ppm Ca, boosted that to 450 ppm, you'd have to add 5.46 dKH for them to be equivalent additions. That's all that means.

lakshwadeep

+1 to few calcium-using corals (basically the duncanopsammia). 380 ppm calcium is at the low end of the normal range, but still in the normal range. The duncan doesn't really need much to do well because it is a LPS coral. What salt mix are you using, and have you tested newly mixed saltwater?

Archived