inTank Media Baskets

Jawfish, Dartfish, Clownfish, pep shrimp and 2 cleaner shrimp OK in 10gal?

JsL

My tank is still cycling and and am very excited to add fish. I have 20lbs of live sand and 13lbs of LR. I have 2 maxi 400s and a AC200 for mechanical filtration, and maybe one day turn that into a nano fuge with macro algae, LS and LR. No skimmer but will do 10% water changes weekly. Here is what I have in mind:

Clown fish

Dartfish

Yellowhead (pearly) Jawfish

2 skunk cleaner shrimps

peppermint shrimp

5 astrea snails

2 red hermits

2 blue hermits

4 nassarius snails

4 cerith snails

How does that sound? Also, what is the difference between a Percula clown and Ocellaris clown other than the coloration and dorsal fins. I want the clown that will be very friendly.

If you have a gregarious fish, please share your comments on them. Thanks so much!

I think most people are going to tell you that 3 fish in 10 gal. is about 1 fish too many. Might be a little crowded with 4 hermits and all the other cleaners too?

I'm still cycling also, so I am only repeating what I have read in numerous reef forums. Hopefully someone with more experience will give you definitive info.

I will be the first to tell you, you don't need 3 shrimps in a 10g. I have 1 skunk and he is very active, very hungry.....and very large.

If you have a dartfish you probably need a cover.

And what type of water are you using?

IMO I would get a few more ceriths. And lots of shells for the hermits or they will be wearing cerith shells.

Wow, Thank You, that's the feedback I want =)

I have a cover and I'm using RO water. I don't know where to find RO and DI water. It's either or, but not both.

I want 3 shrimps because I really like them! They are so cool! Are they big contributers to the bio load?

From what I've read, the dartfish and the jawfish are shy. I only have the clown to watch swim around. That's also why I want 3 shrimps.

Of course, all these things will be added slowly, not all at once.

That is probably more fish then i would suggest in a 10g.

It might be okay for a little while, but with a load that big you will find that your tank will require a LOT of maintenance and up keep. perhaps you should invest in another tank, a bigger tank, or not have so many residents in your current tank.

becuase should one of the levels rise (especially the ammonia, which is more likely to happen with that many fish) it will kill your fish.

Should you decide to keep the same set up make sure you are doing all your tests reguarly and dont go away even on a short holiday. it wont take long for the levels of amonia, nitrites, etc to rise and become poisonous to your fish.

I have never seen my shrimp poo, but he is a hog so it has to go somewhere. If you have 2 skunks and a clown in a small tank your corals are never going to get any food, if you feed them that is. So all the food you dump in to keep them from plowing the corals gets turned to waste and then BAM nitratesgaloe.com.

Then the algaeS set it. That's when it gets fun!

I feel so dumb...I forgot to mention one very importrant thing.

This will be a FOWLR.

Ok I will only get one claner shrimp and a peppermint.

It might be okay for a little while, but with a load that big you will find that your tank will require a LOT of maintenance and up keep.

By maintainence, do you mean water changes weekly, algae scrubbing from the sides and weekly test?

Instead of 1 skunk cleaner I'd get 2 fire shrimp and forget the peppermint. Just my 2 cents. A lone peppermint will tend to hide. I have a 10 gallon with corals (calustrea, sacrophyton, mushrooms, plate [fungia?] and a purple gorgonian); 3 fish (orchid dottyback, Scott's Damsel and yellow clown goby); 2 shrimp (fire) and a bunch of snails and crabs. I do a 10% water change 1-2 times per week and everything has been doing great. The tank is 8 months old. Don't see why you couldn't get the 3 fish u mentioned, just get a small clown or it will get too crowded.

I want a peppermint shrimp because I want it to eat aiptasia.

I actually really like the looks of the skunk cleaner shrimp. I also really like the 3 fish I listed. I wish I could keep a tiny Blue Hippo Tang in a 10gallon, but I can't.

if you want something active and with personality go with the skunk. Peps and fire shrimp tend to hide according to posts here. My scarlet is pretty fun but big and a hog as I have said.

Archived