Cultivated Reef

Chromed Egg Crate for Frag Rack?

Mr. Microscope

neanderthalman
Then can you explain how it "sticks"?

If the solution is positively charged, isn't the "object" negatively charged...to create an attraction?

That's my understanding at least.

Through an electrostatic charge. The ability to establish a static potential is not dependent on conductivity. A party balloon is a fantastic insulator, but you can rub it in your hair to charge it and stick it to a wall.

There are many ways to establish a static charge, and plastics are good a holding them as well.

"There are many ways to establish a static charge, and plastics are good a holding them as well."

A good example of this now that it's nice weather is plastic lawn furniture. When you sit down in it and your hair on your legs and arms stand up. Then you touch the metal grill, zap. LOL

The first step in chrome plating a piece of plastic is really a type of conductive paint. After this you can move on to copper then nickle and then the final chrome. When you look at a piece of chrome you are really seeing the nickle under it. Copper is used to fill in any pitting, grinder marks etc. Cheap chroming skips the copper. With the right prep and process I can chrome plate most anything. You have a favorite piece of dry rock you want to use as a paper weight....it can be chromed!

• 1 month later...

Dont do it, i did it with old reef years ago and it turned black after a few hours.. whatever happened to the chrome i dont know and can only imagine that dissolved in the water.. not a good thing

Archived