SaltCritters.com

what are tunicates?

cpllongjk

you can read some more info on steve tyree's site. i've been researching his natural filtration techniques recently, very interesting imo. tunicates and sponges are key elements to his cryptic refugium/sump filtration techniques.

Despite popular belief, tunicates are not the simple little critters that we know and love. In it's larval state, the tunicate is very similar to embryonic humans and other vertebrates. In fact, tunicates are vertibrates within the phylum chordata. They have a dorsal hollow nerve chord, pharelgeal gill slits and a notochord which gives the phylum its name. Sponges are actually extraordinary creatures. Considered the most primitive ancestors of vertebrate animals, sponges are actually made up of billions of individual cells that work for themselves. It is hard to explain but sponges don't have systems. I am no saint when it comes to reef keeping. It is easy to go to a really cool store and pick out a really cool coral or tunicate for that matter. I do it without thinking and so does everyone else; 90% of sea anemonies are wild caught. My point is LEARN about what you are actually trying to do, which is keep a small ocean in your living room. There is a reason why tunicates are really important, learn why and decide for yourself whether or not you would want to keep one.

Archived