Coral Vue Hydros

My Equipment OK?

Guest LudavicoTechnique

Guest LudavicoTechnique

I have dedecied to go smaller than my original plan for a 33 gallon. For a 20 gallon aquarium (in which I plan to have a pair of Amphiperon Ocellaris (Common Clownfish) and a Condi Anemone, will the following equipment be allright?:

Super Skimmer 1 (Protein Skimmer)

Aquaclear Powerhead #201 (Powerhead)

Rena Cal Top Light 150 watt (Heater)

2 x 22" PC (Lights)

10 lbs Live Rock

3 lbs Live Sand

Thanks for you help so far!

You're probably going to need to have more lr and definitely more ls. Depending on the tank dimensions, you will probably need 15-20 lbs of ls, and at least the same for lr. If you do a search one here, there was a link to a calculator to determine how many lbs of sand you need given dimensions and desired depth.

3# of sand will barely cover the bottom of the tank.  You can use playsand from any landscape store and seed it with the 3# of LS, and that will be OK.  

You'll also want more than 10# LR.  A good path for you (considering tank size) is to get your rock from http://www.gulf-view.com .   They have a special- 30# for $139 (I think) shipped.  You really can't beat it.  Their rock is at your door within 24hrs. of coming out of the ocean, and it's chock full of life.

Post the wattage of your lights.  I'm sure more help is on the way.

this hobby is like fine wine. in order to have a good tank, you need to be patience. if you cant afford too much stuff. definitely dont go cheap on the lighting you can go cheap on the LR and LS. buy regular sand and just put some maybe a cup of LS on top of that and it will eventually spread. same for LR. LR usually go for $6 a #. get a few # of LR and about 15# of base rock which would usually cost around $2 per # or less. then just put the base rock on the bottom and your LR on top. the spores from the LR will spread and make your base rock LR. then just give it time for coralline algae to grow on it.

Vixyswillie
Quote: from Satchmo on 10:41 am on June 25, 2002[br]They have a special- 30# for $139 (I think) shipped.

Currently $194 shipped to your door within 24 hrs. - but still a helluva deal, and it's drop-dead gorgeous rock. Have heard nothing but praise for their product.

I would definately add another PH to that setup.  That way you can create a nice random current.  This helps to prevent dead areas.

Guest LudavicoTechnique

Yes, It is. And my name 'The Ludavico Technique' is the technique in which they strap you into a movie theatre with your eyes pinned open and make you watch violent cinema (as shown in the picture). Thanks for noticing! A Clockwork Orange is a masterpiece!

Archived