Top Shelf Aquatics

Salifert Alk tests

perverseosmosis

perverseosmosis

I've had two people tell me that Salifert Alk tests read a little high, on the order of .2 dKH. I found a rather old thread here where people said the same thing.

Do people think this is still true? My feeling is that it may not be. I noticed my instructions mention that the test is new as of Feb 2008.

Do you folks with Salifert Alk tests accept the readings as is? Or do you tweak the results?

lakshwadeep

.2 dKH isn't a big problem. Any test that is accurate to the "ones" place should be fine since the recommended normal range is 7-11 dKH.

Amphiprion1
.2 dKH isn't a big problem. Any test that is accurate to the "ones" place should be fine since the recommended normal range is 7-11 dKH.

The last batch I got was off by a bit more than that--about .5 dKH to slightly more. This is compared to Elos and API, which test practically the same. It's not a critical difference, but depending on how you are maintaining your tank, it could be enough to be an issue. Those that use organic carbon sources or systems that utilize the same, it will be a bit more critical to be as accurate as possible. Of course, you can always compare the result and automatically subtract once you know.

Amphiprion1
Hmm.

I use Salifert Alk test kits and wasn't aware this was a problem.

Hmmm....

It seems to be a problem within the last couple of years. My old Salifert test kit, which is technically expired, reads exactly the same as the Elos and API kits, so I'm not sure what they decided to change.

Archived