Pod Your Reef

JBJ Nano Cube

jasnhrp

I am a newbie to saltwater aquariums. I have been studying everything I can get hold of for the last few weeks. I think I have decided on getting the JBJ 12 gallon Nano Cube. To begin, I just want to go with live rock, live sand, 2 false percs, and a cleanup crew. Am I correct in stating that the JBJ comes with all equipment necessary with the exception of a heater?

A few basic questions that I have:

Is 12 pounds of live rock enough?

How much live sand do I need?

When I first get the Cube what should I put in for the cycle?

My local fish store has fully cured rock for $6.95. Is this a good price?

It will probably be a month or two before I purchase anything so any advice that you can give me will be much appreciated.

Jason

I'd use 15 lbs of live rock and 20 lbs of live sand (or enough sand to get about an 1.5-2 inch sand bed). Put the sand and the rock in the tank (with saltwater :) ) and let it sit for about a month. You'll know when your cycle is done by testing the water - ammonia, nitrite will all be 0. The cleaner the rock (the more it has already been "precured") the quicker the cycle. Do NOT add the fish until the cycle is complete. 6.95 a lb from a LFS is about average in my area (Long Island). You can get really nice rock on-line at Gulf-view.com and a few other places (check google and the boards.) Before you do anything you really should read more. Research now will save you a lot of aggravation and money in the future.

Oh yeah... I don't know first hand, but A LOT of people have said that the JBJ cubes are a POS. At the very least you'll need to remove the filter media/bioballs and put live rock rubble or chemi-pure back there. The lighting is only adequate for fish,inverts and low light corals like xenia and mushrooms.

As an owner of the JBJ cube, I agree.

The Filter is mostly unsuitable, the lighting needs to be retrofitted at a cost to be useful, and adding a skimmer requires even more work that you might not want to do unless you don't mind power tools :)

Do it right and spend the extra money on a normally aspirated tank, or 7 gal minibow. Then your options REALLY open up. Mistakes in this hobby are extremely expensive. I strongly recommend you pass on the nano-cube and get something that will give you more options and less work.

-karl

Just what gave you the idea that the 7 gal. minibows didn't ALL have retrofitted lighting (the OEM lighting is suitable for planted aquaria or freshwater), and added HOB filters for coral prop?

The JBJ Nano Cube will work just fine as is, out of the box if you are diligent about weekly 10-20% water changes. I have witnessed two in LFS set up in STOCK configuration with flowerpot, hammer, and other soft corals thriving. The corals are so close to the lighting that it is adequate. If you plan to get into clams, LPS or other corals, you may want to add a PC Smart light retrofit. It is a simple retro fit and will be in addition to your current light, not a replacement. The cost is $50 at Dr. Foster and Smith. Both LFS are using all the media that came with the cube.

I have chosen to remove the bio media and replace with additional live rock, along with some chaeto (I'm interested in natural filtering). It also gave me room for my titanium heater in the back.

You will find that most people who buy the nano cube and "modify" it, spend less than $50 for the additional lighting. The removal of bio media and addition of LR is not really an "expense".

The nano cube is not compatible with skimmers without cutting the hood. If a skimmer is important to you, you may want to explore another brand.

I used 11 lbs. of LR in the tank and another 1 lb. in the filter area. A 20lb. sack of Arag-Alive was too much, so I used around 16lbs. and have 1 1 /2 " sand base. Depends on how much base you like to see? If I had it to do over again, I'd probably look for a 10 lb. sack? The LFS are barely covering the floor of the cube in theirs.

I also have one of the nano cube. It has been up for a month now. The light come with the cube. Is that powerful enough for green star polyos? If not if I spend the $50 for the addtional light would I have heat problem at summer time?

I have the nanocube and it is great except for not being able to keep the PH at 8.3. It is a work in progress. I have owned the tank for over one month and star polyps are growing out of the live rock. I purchased mushrooms and they are doing great. Do research, you really cannot keep any of the hard coral or clams due to the light but as a beginner (me personally) I don't think that I want to worry about all of the other hard corals.

I have been looking at the berlin air protein skimmer and the lee protein skimmer. They appear that they can be attached with very little drilling and from talking to others on nanoreef they seem to do well considering the price. Do a search for protein skimmer or lee protein skimmer.

You can cut a piece of acrylic and glue it to filter so that the water will trickle over the bioballs or you can buy extra bio balls at the store, that might help. It seems the general belief is that adding LR fragments into the filter is better, up to you.

Either way enjoy your tank,

oflores

Thanks everyone for your input. I do not want to keep any hard coral or clams. Mostly all I want is live rock and fish and maybe a mushroom or two. I do not want to use a protein skimmer and I have no problem with doing weekly water changes. So I think the Nano Cube is just what I am looking for.

Dr. Foster & Smith are selling it for $99 plus $10 for shipping. Is this the best deal out there? It seems like a pretty good deal to me. Also could someone recommend a good heater for this tank? Maybe something from Dr. Foster & Smith since I will probably order the Cube from them.

nanocat, Are you saying the you fit your heater inside the filter compartment? I think I will also go with natural filtering. That seems like the thing to do now.

Thanks again,

Jason

I forget which heater I have, but you want a 50W submersible. Get the best one you can find since that's one thing you don't want popping in your tank.

And yes, there's enough room to place it in the sump/filter area even if you keep all the stuff that it comes with back there.

I purchased a VIA AQUA TITANIUM HEATER 100 W at Big Al's Online for under $14. Hard to beat the price for a titanium, and no worries about breaking glass (my LFS had the same heater at $39.95). I considered the WON ProHeat, but read there were several defective heaters in that brand that cooked some aquariums.

Don't know where you live Jason, but our LFS are selling the cube between $89 and $99 (no shipping to pay, but we pay sales tax) here in So. Cal.

The Ebo- Jager 50w Heater fits Perfect in the pump compartment you also may consider changing the noisy stock pump with the mini-jet 606 which in my opinion is very quiet

I just ordered a nanocube from DrsFosterSmith for $99..the LFS in my SoCal area was selling it for $169 plus tax. I called around to all the stores in my area and no one else carries it. I also found out that if you buy stuff from DrsFosterSmith you can add a coupon worth $5 off if you select add coupon and then select TV Ad. So my grand total was $104.95 for the nanocube (basically only $5 for shipping...) I figured you can't beat that!

I am just starting out...I've never done this before but I have always wanted a saltwater tank. I don't have the room for a large tank right now so until I have the space, the 12gal nanocube will have to do.

I am so excited! I enjoy reading everyone's posts...I am trying to learn as much as possible before I start putting stuff in the tank. My LFS is really a great store...very helpful and knowledgeable...but just a bit pricy. Out of the 7 or 8 LFS I have visited, this one is really the best of the best.

Hopefully soon I can start submitting pics!

Best!

K

Strictly Fish (lakewood) and Seaside Tropical (Huntington Beach) both have the nano for $99. On sale it was $89, but the sale is over. (info for others in SoCal area).

BTW, once you add in 12lb. of LR and some live sand and Catalina water, you'll be up to $200 in no time ;)

Lakewood and Huntington Beach are too far for me!

I know that when I buy the LR and sand, it will bring the total up to $200 but I figured buying online I was saving $80 that I know I am going to spend in the LFS.

• 1 month later...

Pacific Reef in Anaheim also carries JBJ products including the Nanocube for $99. They also have several good examples of Nanocubes around in the store, both fresh and saltwater (reef, etc).

Archived