Cultivated Reef

what do you feed angelfish?

amack

I have a new coral beauty angelfish in a 29H tank with ~30Lbs live rock.

He's nibbling at stuff on the rock, but hasn't gone after flake food, sushi wrap, or broccoli yet. I have some algae, etc on their, but I don't think it will keep him fed in the long run.

What do people feed their angelfish? Is there a special way of presenting the food that will interest him?

reefermadness

Coral beauty angels aren't likely to "eat" corals. Some individuals will "nip" at things like zooanthids looking for food which can eventually kill them if they can't open to feed. I kept one for years without problems. I would try some frozen brine or mysisto get him started. Finicky eaters will take a while to settle in, but you want him eating ASAP. Broccoli and romaine lettuce hold little if any nutritional value to a fish, and is less likely to be digested properly. I know people do it, and the fish will eat it, but stick with nori and other seaweeds. Terrestrial veggies aren't right for them and seaweed is too easy to find to make excuses. Sorry to rant on the broccoli....It just bugs me that people think it's right.

Thanks for your help. He liked the frozen Brine Shrimp, and moved on from there to accept the flake food. I'm putting nori/seaweed in the tank as well, for a balanced diet!

Originally posted by reefer2

well if it is in a reef tank it will eat your

corals.

Not all angels eat corals! Pygmy angels, such as the coral beauty, tend to be fairly reef friendly if the rock and tank is well established and not overgrazed. They tend to eat marine algae and shrimp foods. When they are short on a food supply some SPS and clam mantles look pretty good to them.

Cameron

• 3 weeks later...

Archived