Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

REMINDER: Infection's Suck!

phorensic

wheres was your chemical gloves and goggles?

i guess your skin type isnt good at keeping toxins out.

never happened to me but im going to start wearing gloves if i frag zoas.

also i heard their toxicity gets weaker over time in a closed aquarium. so yours were probably freshly wild caught?

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply
wheres was your chemical gloves and goggles?

i guess your skin type isnt good at keeping toxins out.

never happened to me but im going to start wearing gloves if i frag zoas.

also i heard their toxicity gets weaker over time in a closed aquarium. so yours were probably freshly wild caught?

This thread is about bacterial infections from the water, not sure how we got onto a paly toxin conversation. But you should wear gloves for everything aquarium related not just fragging.

Deleted User 6
This thread is about bacterial infections from the water, not sure how we got onto a paly toxin conversation. But you should wear gloves for everything aquarium related not just fragging.

you're such a purist nemmy.

this thread is now about as many panic-inducing dangers we can think of in the hobby. I, for one, am scared to death of my fish biting at me when I'm cleaning out the tank. I jump every time.

pismo_reefer
debate nothing. Sticking an open wound into a fish tank is dumb.

Yea, well...

some of us are MEN and always have scrapes and cuts...

;)

oh wait, I guess I shuld get elbow-length gloves to work on my truck, too... :rolleyes:

Each time I do maintenance near my flame scallop and it snap that makes me jump and quickly retreive my hand with a splash of water! lol!

It's harmless but makes me jump still.

Palytoxin is appropriate here since we are discussing potential danger in working bare hands in an aquarium.

this thread is now about as many panic-inducing dangers we can think of in the hobby. I, for one, am scared to death of my fish biting at me when I'm cleaning out the tank. I jump every time.

Well, I, too, am not going to get caught up in the debate. Just to say I am glad you sought medical advice quickly and are well. How frightening.... :o

Wow, this thread got kinda out of control. I had no problems for a year sticking my hands in and doing stuff all the time, with cuts all over, AND eczema. It's just this one time that bit me.

I was merely trying to warn people that if this happens to them they really need to see a doctor. I'm one of those guys who will "superman" my illnesses. I can be puking my guts out and gasping for air and be like "I'M FINE, I'M NOT SEEING A FREAKIN' DOCTOR". But this is one time I'm glad I really did.

Day 5 and my hand is still a bit sore, and the hangnail "cut" site has this weird looking scab...my body is definitely telling me it went through some shiz. The antibiotics though...jeezus. I'm like a walking zombie with the flu...ugh.

I think you completely missed the point of my post. I wasnt stating that coolwaters was off topic if thats what you thought. He didnt quote anyone so i assumed his post was towards the OP.

I was just pointing out that the OP got a bacterial infection and it wasnt involving palytoxins or wild caught paly/zoa. Just seemed like he didnt read the whole OP.

I know you love me Dhaut and just have to follow me around, but you missed the point i was trying to make. Although i might not have made it very clear as i have an IQ below room temperature.

Okay I'm somewhat scared,

wear gloves and not worry as much?

I want to hear facts not all of this arguing.

Hmm palytoxin maybe the ones i have are palythoa toxica?

cheryl jordan
Okay I'm somewhat scared,

wear gloves and not worry as much?

I want to hear facts not all of this arguing.

Hmm palytoxin maybe the ones i have are palythoa toxica?

Most of the very toxic zoanthids come from Hawaii. Before Captain Cook came, the Hawaiians used the toxin on the tips or their arrows to kill prey.

There is actually alot of information on the net regarding the toxins and case studies, interesting stuff.

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issues/feb2003/invert.htm

• 1 month later...

2 months later and I'm slowly building up my digestive system again. 7 weeks of these antibiotics really killed my whole digestive system. I love spicy food (Sriracha FTW!) and I can't have any of it. Just like the title of this thread - REMINDER: Infections Suck!

• 2 months later...

I know bumping an old thread pisses people off, but I had to.

I got infected again!!! Sonofa...

I moved my 50g tank to my new place. I had my hand in the water for hours at both locations. Moving rocks, brushing against corals, grabbing the filter mediums and parts, aquascaping, etc. This time I didn't have any cuts on my hands, BUT!!! I have a skin condition called eczema. My eczema leaves really tiny scabs in the areas it's bad, like my hands. Sure enough, something decided my eczema scabs would be a great place to shack up for the night. Woke up in the morning and I had two lovely infection sites that were getting swollen and full of puss immediately.

JUST GREAT...AGAIN...ROUND FRACKIN' TWO!

I did my classic "nah it's healing! see?" for a couple days. Guess what, my body fought it this time. Pushed out all the bacteria into puss "nodules" or whatever. A week later and it's looking 90% healed. Dear lord, thanks for not having to spend another couple Benjamin's on *that* again. Whew!

Think I will wear gloves next time? pfffffff....*sigh*

yep. say bye bye to all your good bacteria in your intenstines. start eating yogurt.

Um? Old news! haha. That was round one. Just described round two where my body fought it off on its own. No crazy meds this time!

kamikaze_fish

Having a hard time reading your posts phorensic because of your avatar but I would definitely recommend gloves for you lol

A great and cheap way to clean a wound that might be infected is to put a few drops of javel water in a gallon of warm water and put your hand or feed in there for an hour, then sceal the wound with something like liquidskin or similar. That worked for me when I was on a photography assignment in middle of nowhere with no doctor available and I was getting a nasty infection on my foot. I had to do this each day for 5 days but it worked and saved my foot.

Um? Old news! haha. That was round one. Just described round two where my body fought it off on its own. No crazy meds this time!
A great and cheap way to clean a wound that might be infected is to put a few drops of javel water in a gallon of warm water and put your hand or feed in there for an hour, then sceal the wound with something like liquidskin or similar. That worked for me when I was on a photography assignment in middle of nowhere with no doctor available and I was getting a nasty infection on my foot. I had to do this each day for 5 days but it worked and saved my foot.

So, bleach and hot water for an hour? That's a good idea for next time! What I was doing was using scalding hot tap water (chlorinated obviously) as much as I could. I read that mycobacterium marinum can't live at body temperature, so it lives right under the surface of the skin where it is cooler. So I used super hot tap water often and I think it worked. I didn't do much else except keep it clean. The scabs got huge and then ruptured and were wide open, so that's when I bandaged it just in case. Funny side effect is that the skin on my hand was sloughing off many inches away from the infection site just like last time. Crazy

Archived