inTank Media Baskets

Lighting Cycle

WillyWonka

hey, i'm doing some research on the proper lighting duration in a nano. i know that good lighting is a very important element when it comes to keeping corals and nano aquaria happy. i just wanted to hear everyone's opinion on the usual duration of your light cycles (i.e. how long do you keep your lights on and why). thanks everyone, WW

I put night lights on all my tanks now. I use a 16 hour on cycle. I also keep a 13 or 9 watt PC actinic at night. there are new RED bulbs also. they are nice too. IF U USE A LIVING SUMP use 14 hours in the main tank, 18 hours in the sump, and make sure the dark phase in the sump is on durring the main tanks lights are on.

this way U will not sustain a PH drop. It has worked really well for me

not all them, I rig my tanks wit a night light... the Actinics are nice

I also use Photoelectric sensors and screw in type 25 watt colored incandescents.

NanoReefer53

10hours a day of actinic and daylight. I would do an extra 30 minutes of actinic before and after but i need an extra timer. I do a long period of time to keep my SPS healthy. I would love to do 12 hours a day but with my 350w of power and the California electricity bill, i can't.

i keep my lights on about 12 hours a day. i dont have timers so i try to remember to turn my daylight off a little before my actinics. i thought 12 hours might be too long but everything was doing well and it corresponded to my viewing hours so thats what i did. but you guys make it sound like 12 hours is ok. cool

My actinic light comes on an at 9am, main lights come on at 10am.

Then main lights go off at 7pm, and actinics go off at 8pm

Corals are growing fine for now at least, so I am not going to change anything.

All nuisance algae are gone as well.

Archived