Innovative Marine Aquariums

40G Frag & Display Tank

Zepo.

Well, since I donated my 10g to my girlfriend who I talked into starting a reef, I decided to really work on the half of the tank as a display side. I might cut back the eggcrate a few inches and keep some of my favorite corals in it. I added a firefish about a week ago, then came home to some random damsels that were a gift so I accepted thinking they would be fine. These included a Domino Damsel, Yellow Tail Damsel, and a pretty beatup 3 Line Damsel. The domino went crazy terrorizing everything, nipping at fins, and stealing food from everything else so needless to say he went byby to my gf's 10 gallon. A few thing's that i've done are:

-Lowered the light 2"

-Added more rock to the back of the display section

-Raided the water level another inch, making the water 7" deep.

-Added firefish, 3 striped damsel, and yellowtail damsel, if any damsel gets aggresive it's gone.

Some things I will be adding soon are:

-1-2 Rock Boring & 1-2 Pincushin Urchin

-1-2 Coral Banded Shrimp

- Reef Safe Starfish

-Florida Fighting Conch

-3-4 Fuzzy Chiton

-10 Limpets

-Thin Striped Hermit

-2-3 Micro Porcelain Crabs

-Anenome

-Magnificent Feather Dusters

-Sponge

Going to start dosing filter feeding formula for my corals and other filter feeders i'll update on how that turns out. Pics soon.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

Anyone know of any fish that would work in 8" for water? They have plenty of swimming room just limited height. I learned my lesson, damsels are bullies. I should give away my 3 stripe....

Anglers dont need deep water.. they dont really swim much..LOL

could get a diamond goby for sifting sand but they like to jump so maybe not.

Errrmm Maybe small gobies is a good option like clown goby or something of that nature.

Maybe Anthias? dwarf goldem eel? dwarf lion?

Anglers dont need deep water.. they dont really swim much..LOL

could get a diamond goby for sifting sand but they like to jump so maybe not.

Errrmm Maybe small gobies is a good option like clown goby or something of that nature.

Maybe Anthias? dwarf goldem eel? dwarf lion?

Hmmm i think my firefish would become lunch for a lion, but I like the idea of a lion...hmmm

bluenassarius

your gonna have a hard time achieving the right flow for that tank.. i had a 72x30x10 before and it was really challenging to get th eright flow.

your gonna have a hard time achieving the right flow for that tank.. i had a 72x30x10 before and it was really challenging to get th eright flow.

Everything seems to be going fine flow wise. But then again it's not packed full of stuff yet either.

fiddly_foo

Nice I like those shallow tanks that's what I'm doing next wanna do a 36x24x12 and just do a couple

LR islands in the tank more open up just cant really keep fish that jump unless I put a mesh screen on it. Maybe just use the screen on at night and when I'm away from the tank. We'll great tank love the setup does that drain make any gulping noise at all... good luck Brian

Thanks! My firefish has jet to jump. It does make some

noise but I stuck an air hose down the drait which helped a ton.

Oh man, this is a horrible picture but it's worth a thousand words. all three of my fish are buddies and like to swim around with each other and "hang out" lol it's so hilarious. Totally breaks anything i believed before about fish personalities, a firefish, three striped damsel, and black oc. clownfish.

1022603.jpg

Flash ruined this picture and scared them so I couldnt get a better one.

matt frizz

That's awesome man. I have 2 ocellaris and 1 bangai that are almost inseparable. Mainly it's the clowns but they definitely hang with the bangai for a good portion of the day.

On the other hand my YWG is a scrooge who moved from a rock that I could see him under (lived there for months and then randomly moved) to a rock in the back right corner of the tank facing the back glass. Jerk, and he makes it hard for me to feed him by living there. I have to drop sinking hikari pellets in the back corner for him to eat.

That's awesome man. I have 2 ocellaris and 1 bangai that are almost inseparable. Mainly it's the clowns but they definitely hang with the bangai for a good portion of the day.

On the other hand my YWG is a scrooge who moved from a rock that I could see him under (lived there for months and then randomly moved) to a rock in the back right corner of the tank facing the back glass. Jerk, and he makes it hard for me to feed him by living there. I have to drop sinking hikari pellets in the back corner for him to eat.

More proof that each fish has an individual personality. Three stripes are labeled as one of the most agressive fish you can buy but then I seemy firefish becoming buds with him. When I first put the clown in it went into the damsels territory and the damsel started smacking it with it's tail but then my firefish comes out of nowhere and rams into the damsel and pushes the clown away like it's trying to save it. I swear either I have smart fish or I'm crazy lol! Who else can say their firefish breaks up damsel fights.

Fine you both can have them :)

gutterguy can have mine. My next tank will not have water in it til the end of the month. It's just nice to be "first" for a change. B)

gutterguy can have mine. My next tank will not have water in it til the end of the month. It's just nice to be "first" for a change. B)

Ok once you want some just let me know :)

• 3 weeks later...

Archived