Innovative Marine Aquariums

Quick leather help please

Bin Weed

it drooping pretty bad. I brought it home from the store 1 week ago and it just keeps drooping down and laying onto the rock whats wrong??

Ben

ewww thats one ugly pic. sorry guys my other digi camera is bein used by my mom.

and please dont say its sagging because there's a clown goby on it. he was introduced today postsaggage

the water tested out near perfect but i forgot to record my specs.

thanks fo ur help,

Ben

That looks like a non-photosynthetic deep water soft coral. It is probably starving. They need HEAVY amounts of phyto-zoo plankton.

I could be wrong cause I am looking at a good year blimp shot. ;)

I agree with Acoustic. The coral in your pic look like a Dendronoephytha (spelling?). They are asymbiotic, can be damaged by strong light, are naturally found in caves and overhangs hanging down and require large amounts of phytoplankton to keep them alive. I've also read that they like moderate levels of current.

the best i could do

no need to rip on me... im 18 so i dont have all that much money to spend on aquariums and strippers let alone a nice camera

Ben

yeah im one of those idiots who cant take pictures and then forgets to post them

(how can you add in pics when you edit a post)?

temp & coostick's right, i think that's a scleronephthyea. and it does look sickly, very sickly. very advanced coral imho.

i'd get it out of the light and into a shaded area. they're plankton eaters like the others say. stir up some detritus/crappie it may open it's polyps to feed. it should look like this.

hmmm, they make difficult sps, carpet anemones, and sea fans look easy. good luck! :(

I wasnt sure if it was a leather or not (thats what it was sold to me as)... when i bought I bought from a new guy at the VERY dependable LFS we'll see how it turns out *gulp*

Thanks for ur help

Ben

hes doin even worse in low light... i guess its either starving or its not a scleronephthia i dont know my im still tryin

My photo is bad so maybe just maybe ya'll are wrong who knows

i think it's a sclero. putting it in low light wasn't going to automatically perk it up, it's just one of their natural habitats. they're also found in lower levels of the open reef (e.g. on a bommie).

i didn't think you were referring to the orange blob in the first picture (hence i was looking for the goby to reference what you were talking about). i thought you were talking about a real leather (e.g. lobophytum, sarco, or nepth). the orange stalk/stem pretty much gives it away. was it expanded/open at all at the lfs?

i believe finding the right food source is the main challenge for them (gonios are easier than these bastages). have you seen it during the night? altho i don't believe it's a nocturnal feeder (in the strict sense), just more of a low-light inhabitant.

I did check last night it looked the same as aways

I didnt expect it to perc right up but i atleast expected to show a little sign instead it seemed to get worse, maybe that was my imagination.

Ok well now that thats sorted out can you give me some easy to follow fow often feeding instructions? please i would really appreciate it.

and what do these cost?

thanks for your help and consideration you guys are life savers

Ben

Originally posted by Bin Weed

Ok well now that thats sorted out can you give me some easy to follow fow often feeding instructions? please i would really appreciate it.

if i could successfully rear them i'd be going full bore with them.

i think they and dendros are the most beautiful of corals. sorry, but other than low-light placement and the 'wilkins detritus' pigpen-cloud feeding method i don't really have a 'proven' answer for you. they may take marine snow and similar phyto & zooplankton (nanoplankton) but their polyps have to be open to feed.

on that note, dr. charles matthews of fama had written an article on chemical triggers for these (and similarly difficult) corals. his premise (which i agree with) was that the presence of certain chemicals could trigger feeding reactions. these triggers may be from the actual foods they consume or by-products of them (e.g. bacteria #### as the trigger and the bacteria as the actual food, btw that's my eloquent example not his :P ).

now i'm sure i'm mucking up what he actually wrote (since i'm just going by memory and i'm tired right now). i think he wrote that article around october?

he has good viewpoints on the hobby and is obviously versed in techno mumbo jumbo (MD). take a look at that article, it may give you some ideas (theories he's still working on). good luck!

Archived