Coral Vue Hydros

40 Gallon Specific Question

michael_holmes_04

michael_holmes_04

Hello. I use to post here but left. BTW nice new site design. Ok here is the question. I have a 40 gallon long tank. It has the crushed coral bottom setup with the dead space and a nice 3" live sand bed. 15-20 pounds of live sand. A Blue Spotted Damsel and a P. Clown. A sea clone protien skimmer and a rotating power head and of course a heater rated for this size tank. Well anyways that has all been in my tank for a little over a year now. We had various snails and shrimp but they died off a little while ago. Then I added a sand sifter starfish. Well now I got into some more money and want to update the tank. We have added a spotted manadrin goby and a camel back shrimp. Also added recently are two Mexican Turbo snails and an Emerald Crab. Now I want to get into some coral and other aquatics but have been only lighting the tank with some crappy standard house flourecent fixtures. Well I found one light system I love. It is in my price range.Here is it's website is this a good lighting system? Is it the best one I can get for that price? Also what would you suggest for my next addons or is there anything that needs to be corrected in my tank? I would like to get the clown a anenomie. Anyways hope to hear from you soon.

Hi,

I use a similar fixture on my 29G tank and am very pleased with it. With this light, you should be able to keep most soft corals and LPS corals. However, most (though not all) SPS corals will require much more light.

If you are handy and like DIY, you would be able to get a much better lighting system if you do it yourself. As for good DIY setups, I'll let someone with more experience give you insight on that.

Before you add corals though, I would remove the camel back shrimp as they are coral eaters.

Also, I would be watchful of your mandarin goby as they can easily starve as they don't usually take prepared foods.

HTH

michael_holmes_04

hey does anyone know if that particular light set has a timer? The website here makes it sound like it goes through three timed phases. Also if a total of 260 watts (2 10,000k Ultra Daylight 65w and 2 Acitic Blue 65w and 4 unspecifed moon-lite) isn't enough what is? Thanks alot. Sounds like it is ok but not the best. But defintly a step up right? Oh and the mandrine seems to be doing ok I've seen him nibbling around the tank. The sand sifter isn't to big of a worry seeing how I see lots of bristle worms aorund. Right?

Smokin-Reefer

Well, you really need a Metal halide to keep anemones successfully, and this is a heated debate. You CAN keep them under pc, but I really really really really REALLY suggest that you either keep softies and lps with pc or get a MH for a small price more and keep your anemones the proper way. I doubt you'll have much success with the pcs. on the starfish, I don't know for sure if they eat bristleworms or not, either way I'd suggest getting rid of it!

Hi,

The lights do not have a built in timer. Mine has 2 power switches to control each one of the PC lamps and a separate plug for the moonlight. There is no on/off switch for the moonlight (on my CSL fixture anyway).

michael_holmes_04

Well I've got the formentioned lights and have been running them three days. I'm happy. I wish I could afford higher watts but oh well. Everything seems to enjoy them.

Archived