SaltCritters.com

Do I need an RO DI unit?

nano neophyte

nano neophyte

I'm curious what you think of these readings. I live in the city of Milwaukee and this link shows the latest compound readings in our city water. http://www.mpw.net/Pages/wqr2001.html (look about 3/4 down the page for a chart of compounds. )

With these levels, do you think I need to purchase an RODI? I'm actually surprised how low the numbers are right off the bat? Opinions?

Guest LudavicoTechnique

$500 - most of us can't afford that. Reverse Osmosis water is about 20 cents a gallon at most places. Assuming you have a nano - you are looking at, maximum, $6 to fill the tank and maybe a buck a month in water changes.

well lets see.....

10 gallon

tank hood stand lights, rock, sand, filters...... = $1200.00

8 corals 20 or so various inverts and clean upers.....=400.00

Testkits, supplies, addatives,

Tropic Marin salt bucket...... = $70.00

water?............ THIS IS A SALT WATER.... W A T E R tank.

it is the most important part of the whole damn thing.....

DONT BE A RETARD... IF U CAN AFFORD ALL THE REST, then GET THE BEST....... THIS IS A HOBBY OF EXPENSE. SPENT THE $ your tank will show it. 10 fold on your investment.

Dont be a drooling retard LUD........

You are contradicting yourself in other threads.....

:( :flame:

not any more than else where, every one do the math... I bet your tanks are close too. WHen it comes to my reefs $ is no object........ AS IS PROPER CARE.

To setup my tank cost about £410 (~ $650) and then add corals, critters and other livestock etc = another £300 ($480)

So altogether about £710 ($1130)

It does add up. OK, so my tank is larger than the aevrage nano, but I dont think I could have done it with less than £600 on a smaller tank.

Hmm...Reef tanks are expensive, but the tank I have next to my computer is well worth the expense. :)

NaNO ReeFiN

I was keeping track of how much I spent on my nano, but I lost track after the 400 mark so I just said screw it, no more keeping track of the $$!!

get a steam distiller online for $100. depending on your electricity it comes to about $0.25~$0.50/gal. and it's purer than ro and di, just add salt or as a topoff. drawback is water production is about two gallons a day max but for a nano that's more than enough. (i use it as topoff for my main tank too but i'm hustling to distill the water everyday)

btw, i spent about $350~$400 on my nano. i think that's the average for everyone i've seen divulge the info.

I saw the Oceanus special Chris, how long are you running it for?

I'm gonna get me one if it runs till august at least (gotta get a MH first)

TIA,

Toy

a good RO and DI unit will remove 99% of contaminates while just the RO unit without the DI will remove 90%- 95% of contaminats.

Guest LudavicoTechnique

$1200 for a 10g tank!

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

hahahahaaahahahahahahahahahahahhahhahahahhhahaaahahahhahahahahhahahhahaa....

I suppose your stand was made of gold and diamonds, not mention the $800 sponge filters!

On my 40g, in total, for 4 years, I have spent about $1200, I dont know where you buy your tanks.

I can get you a killer deal on a 10g glass or acyrilic - only $400!

hahahahahahaha......

WALMART is not a good brand LUD.

the 10 gal was actualy a 22 gal custom Oceanic.

I can set up a 10 gall reef tank that Tite, fer 200.00 all inclusive.

But I dont live in the ghetto.... niether do my customers.:mad:

Archived