inTank Media Baskets

Too many zoanthids?

skp

i have 3 colonies of tonga zoanthids that total over 1000 polyps in my 34 gallon redsea max. Are they sucking too many trace elements out of the water? I have a superman montipora that i got bleached and its having a really hard time coming back in color. i also have a red planet acro frag, garf bonsai frag and a tyree tricolor frag that i just recently got and want to color up. Should i get rid of some zoas or start dosing some suplements?

i have about 35 pounds of live rock, 24" sunpod w single hqi 150 watt 14000K, mp10.

i use instant ocean salt mix.

thanks

Send me some ;) If it is trace elemnt you could dose. Maybe some one else can give there input on how much trace elements 1000+ zoas can consume.

I am sure that it is definitely sucking up a lot of trace elements and would recommend fraging and selling or moving to a deferent tank.

I would dose instead of getting rid of things. Are you testing for calc, alk and mag for your sps? Look into a 2 part like b-ionic or the like. All your trace elements should be covered by regular water changes. I like 10% weekly, keeps things more stable for the sps. Are your sps up high in the tank? if not get them up close to the light.

Try using Reef Crystals. It's more of a reef salt than IO because it contains more trace elements. I'd also dose some coral amino's because it's helped all of my corals color up. I also do 1-2 gallon daily water changes and a 4-5 gallon weekly water change in my 24 gallon AP. It's more work but the nice thing is that I could put completely browned out acros in there and two weeks later they're colored up. I also have to dose as well, but not nearly as much because of the water changes.

feed them meat. Seriuosly, use amino acid right before the lights go off and then a little while later throw in some cyclopeeze or your personal choice. You will notice all your coral will improve. Feed lightly at first a few times a week and gradually move to every other day, if you want a DIY coral food check out my tank thread, just be very sparing with it at first.

ok ive already been dosing brightwell coral amino for 4 days and i do weekly water changes of 10-12%.

The superman is totally encrusted and its been visibly spreading everyday. I cant remove it from the rock and locate it somewhere else. I have two frags of garf bonsai, i noticed the one closer to the light is turning really light in color. The polyps are still bright green though..is it bleaching? Its like 4 inches from the water surface and another 2.5 inches maybe to the light bulb directly under it. Its only a single 150 watt and i didnt think i could bleach any sps with this light fixture.

Also, i just recently got into sps. about 5 days ago i got my new sps frags, they are all about an inch to 0.5 iches so very small. I always used instant ocean salt mix (because in the beginning i didnt have a good light and i didnt even dream of sps). I thought id continue to use instant ocean and just dose calcium and magnesium (of course check the alk too).

A 150 HQI can bleach coral if not properly acclimated. I wouldn't worry to much just leave it there it will look better in a week or two. How do you like the new and improved Kent (some say Brightwell)? I use aqua vitro by seachem.

A 150 HQI can bleach coral if not properly acclimated. I wouldn't worry to much just leave it there it will look better in a week or two. How do you like the new and improved Kent (some say Brightwell)? I use aqua vitro by seachem.

Ive been target feeding the aminos for 4 days now. I found that it rises so ive been injecting with a plastic syringe and blowing it gently to each coral with a turkey baster at the same time. So far it hasnt changed anything yet. im thinking of trying the other brightwell product, Koral color, after im done with this bottle of aminos.

Archived