Pod Your Reef

UK 20 High - Update

johnfruitbat

johnfruitbat

Just thought I'd post a few updated pics of my 20 high. Its come quite a long way since I posted it last time, but is still no where near finished. Tank ain't lookin its best as I don't have my own camera and grabbed an opportunity to use my dads when he came round.

Anyway, here we go:

johnfruitbat

ok, I admit, it ain't perfect, can't seem to grow any coralline, but am lookin into that one now.

Gonna buy a Canon G5 in a few weeks so hopefully can get a few macro shots then!

not growing coralline isnt a bad thing...look at it like green algae is in freshwater...sure, it might mean your tank is healthy, but it also gets all over things and means there are nutrients floating in the water to grow it, like phosphates and nitrates. European Planted/Amano aquariums grow very little algae cuz the plants outcompete for nutrients. No coralline could be cuz the fuge, and the high lighting. There simply may not be an environment to grow coralline...not a bad thing, just a nuisance IMO.

johnfruitbat

Not desperate for it to grow or anything, just looks nice and seems to "bind" the rock together!

I think a reason might be the fact that I got virtually no nutrients in the tank (0.1 Nitrate 0 phosphate). Trying to actually raise the nitrate a bit, for the clams sake!

johnfruitbat

It's a pink/purple Heteractis Malu. Pink tentacle with purple tips, it was a rare find. Its doing really well and one of the two percs has hosted with it.

Archived