Innovative Marine Aquariums

Via Aqua vs. Nano Cube??

markpg

I'm now at the point where I considering taking the plunge into a nano reef system after keeping a variety of freshwater tanks over the years.

I've been looking at the JBJ Nano Cube system, but during a visit to my LFS I saw a number of the Via Aqua systems (11-18 gal) on display which look very nice -- very attractive and they seem to have a good lighting system. I'm still leaning toward the Nano Cube (esp. since it is less money....), but I was wondering if anyone here has an opinion on the Via Aqua systems, and if they offer any advantages over the JBJ Nano.

Thanks in advance...

Mark

I had the same decision. In my case, 3 out of 3 LFS said to buy the nano cube (even though two of them sold jebo and via aqua).

Nano cubes are flying off the shelf here in So.Cal.

When I bought mine from Seaside Tropical in Huntington Beach, they had a stack of 12.

5 days later I went in with some water to test, and they are down to 1.

I love mine. My only complaint (and you will read this on a lot of forums - so it's common to them all) is that there is some light leakage because the hood is not a perfect fit.

Quite honestly, i've been futzing with this nano-cube for the past several days. I can honestly say I wouldn't recommend it again.

While you may save a couple of bucks, your options are incredibly limited. If you want a protein skimmer (always a nice option) forget it unless you want to mod your hood. Even then you're going to likely have issues - I am.

The built in filtration is junk, the rear area only really serves as a sump or refugium. You're going to remove all that bioball and ceramic cheerio junk and replace it all with live rock - unless you like nitrates apparently.

You're also limiting your light output. While it does include a 50/50 light setup, it's a measly 24 watts, and simply no substitute for a powercompact.

If you're looking to "do it right", you'll want some kind of HOB filter - MAYBE... and a HOB skimmer - MAYBE. If you want these options, you're just gonna have issues with the nano cube.

Since I really want to do my first nano right, I may ditch my nano-cube tomorrow and go out and buy a 20 long ($30 tops), a glass cover ($10 tops), a PowerCompact of some sort ($160ish) and a Powerhead ($20 tops).

A little more than twice the price, sure. But man - I'm seriously SICK of wrestling with the nano-cube's limitations. If you read through these forums like I have been for the past 3 days, I've been getting the following impressions of the cube:

1. The filter is useless and all the stuff it comes with needs to be pulled out. Waste of money, since you're ultimately going to buy a few more smaller pieces of LR to stick in that area.

2. The lighting is very much on the weak side, though "adequate" for the hardier corals. Most people seem to want to retrofit (more money to spend).

3. You can't EFFECTIVELY put a skimmer in without modding the unit. More work for you to do, and your skimmer options will be seriously limited.

Honestly, I'm new to this new Nano world. I'm still learning. But I can honestly say that while I like the cube's cute stature, i'm really starting to hit the wall with its limitations. I may run out tomorrow and get a 15-20 to replace it and do it right this time.

Sounds like you bought a Nano Cube for all the wrong reasons. Most of us are well aware that it is pointless to buy the cube if you want a skimmer and HOB filter. It should be clear to anyone that they aren't designed for that. On the other hand, why would you want the added expensive of those when they aren't necessary at all? Witness the hundreds, if not thousands of nano cubes set up as reefs with no mods at all. All the cubes I've seen set up at LFS are running stock (sponges, bio balls and all), although I have chosen to remove them, add in additional LR, some macro algae and put my titanium heater back there too.

All is well in nano land so far.

For those who are desirous of additional HOB filtering, skimmers, larger refugiums, sumps, etc. of course it is easier to buy an AGA tank and add your own peripherals.

FWIW, stock Nano lighting is more than adequate for soft corals and livestock. Most of your corals are going to be less than 5 or 6" from the lights as is. For those wanting to retrofit, there are several PC lights that will still be less than $160ish discussed above.

The attraction of the nano cube is the bent glass vs. the "old school" look of a 20".

Different strokes for different folks. There are quite a few dedicated reefers using the 7 gal. minibow. Yes they modded them. But they are extremely happy with their smaller reefs. B)

Originally posted by nanocat

Sounds like you bought a Nano Cube for all the wrong reasons. Most of us are well aware that it is pointless to buy the cube if you want a skimmer and HOB filter. It should be clear to anyone that they aren't designed for that. On the other hand, why would you want the added expensive of those when they aren't necessary at all? Witness the hundreds, if not thousands of nano cubes set up as reefs with no mods at all. All the cubes I've seen set up at LFS are running stock (sponges, bio balls and all), although I have chosen to remove them, add in additional LR, some macro algae and put my titanium heater back there too.  

Well, I did a ton of reading, and it seemed that everyone was relatively happy with the cube. I figured I would be as well.

And you're right, plenty work just fine as stock. All I simply want to do is point out its limitations so anyone who may potentially buy one knows them ahead of time. There are VERY few posts about just HOW limiting these cubes can be.

I'm not "bashing" the cube, and I've committed to stick with it through cycle and stocking. I have a working Lee skimmer in there now, even though it required some modification to the hood.

I just think it needs to be said that the built in filtration is something many will call "useless", the lighting system is on the weak side and those who faithfully follow the Berlin method of reefkeeping will consider the lack of a skimmer option (outside of modding) a serious limitation. There are those who go 100% natural with weekly water changes that will find this setup just fine though.

I'm just trying to be objective, since I've already learned one thing about nano-reefs: mistakes are expensive. If I can pass on my knowledge, i've done my job here :)

I agree with kweckstrom that the nanocube is limiting. All of the things that you want to add later to the tank, are almost impossible without removing the canopy or cuttin holes out, etc....

As far as a mistake I don't think so. I love the tank and it is pretty easy to maintain. I too am thinking of adding the lee skimmer or a berlin air skimmer, probably just a little bit of modification. Most of the polyps and mushrooms are easy to take care of and come in a lot of colors.

You can keep some hard corals, research it. It seems that some candy cane and brain coral will be okay, from what I've been told.

after several months of putting up with my JBJ and reading nano-reef.com and reefcentral.com i would never buy nor recommend one.

you will be much happier with a minibow 7 - no it's not an all-in-one package but that is a good thing. you can upgrade the lights with a 32W retrofit kit if the stock isn't sufficient. you get a nice glass tank with a bowed front, and no stupid rear chamber that just collects crap.

rehren, have you considered adding the same 32W retrofit in the nano for a total of 56W? It will fit just fine. Saw another guy with a cube who did just that. If you're going to spend the $50 on a retrofit, you might as well have the extra 5 gallons of space. BTW, the back area works great for a heater (saves having it in the tank and taking up room) and another pound or so of LR, plus chaeto.

I like minibows too...the bowfront is a nice look.

Archived