Coral Vue Hydros

Hydor Koralia Evolution 1400

AZDesertRat

AZDesertRat

I received my new Koralia Evolutions last night and could not wait to compare them to the Sicce Voyagers I installed one month ago almost to the day. First of I have been very pleased with the Voyagers which replaced regular Koralia 4's but was looking for something a little smaller and possibly more power efficient.

I think I have found it in the Evolutions.

First a few pictures comparing the Voyager 3 at 1200 GPH to the Evolution 1400 and 1400 GPH.

3-18-10003.jpg

3-18-10004.jpg

Unfortunately I sold my K4's already so could not do a side by side but here is one with a K4 and the Voyager 3 so you can see the Evolutions are quiet a bit smaller than either the K4 or V3.

aquarium002-1.jpg

I installed them in the back upper corners of my 100G pointing front center and they are powered by my Reefkeeper Lite on the wavemaker function at 1 minute switching intervals. They are totally silent!

Best of all is the power consumption. My old K4's drew 15-16 watts on a Kill A Watt meter, the Voyager 3 while rated at 10 watts was actually more like 12 watts but the Evo 1400 which puts out more flow than either only draws 6 watts!

Using my unscientific method of testing or more accurately comparing the flows against each other I also find the flow is better. I ground up a bunch of flake food and dropped it in front of each while they were running. the 1400 immediately spreads it out and blows it to the opposite end of the tank no problem. The Voyager and K4 were slower to distribute the food. Not really an accurate measurement but it was the only visual method I could think up in an operating reef tank.

I was hesitant when I saw the impeller design still has a definite pitch or screw pattern which in the old style pumps could start in reverse on a wavemaker. Here is a pic of the new shaftless impeller in the Evo next to the Voyager flat blade style.

3-18-10008.jpg

And one of the K4 next to the Voyager for comparison

021710015.jpg

So far I have yet to hear a rattle or any sound at all when switching so they have come up with something new.

I did notice before going to bed last night the sand (330 lbs Southdown DSB, 5-6" deep) at the far ends of my tank is shifting which it did not do with either of the old pumps or the Seios before that so some re aiming may be in order do to the increased flow.

I will have more to come as time progresses but so far I am thrilled.

Amphiprion1

How small are these compared to the Tunze Nanostreams? The flow is pretty comparable to a modded 6025 and a bit cheaper... and controllable. I may have to go this route in the future...

• 2 weeks later...

Wow, I saw an ad for these in CORAL, but I was unaware that they had been released to retail!

I have 2 K1's for my 29g, but I was seriously looking into adding 1 or 2 more when I get my 40b set up and I want to use these evolution pumps.

Thanks for the review rat!

AZDesertRat

I hope to get one of the new Evo Nano 425's to replace the K1 in my 16G bowfront soon. They apppear to be much smaller.

I'm going to pick one of these up for my 75 until I can drop in an MP40....who knows if this does the job why spend 10X as much!

Vortech needs to lower their prices! I mean the technology is awesome and that's I'm sure what half the cost is....but seriously. A powerhead shouldn't be the most expensive thing on your tank.

Archived